A Sad story

Silence. There was silence after those four words spoken. Just the sound ify silent cries. Until I decided to break it.

"I was 12. My mom was in the army. Despite her busy job she always found time for us. She never let us felt like our mom was an over working woman. W-we were a happy pill family. A perfect family as I used to think in till this one April night. She was reading a bed time story to me and l-luke." I took a deep breath after saying my brothers name. Reece still didnt know what happened and I needed to get the weight off of my shoulder.

"She was Reading until my dad came in with the house phone in his hand. A sad expression on his face,my mom immediately knew something was wrong so she closed the book and kissed us both good night whispering us what proved to be her last words to us---" another deep breath.

"Take care of each other you two, you'll always have one another. Thats what she said. The last words and a last I love you. Turned out that the call was from an operation area and my mom was needed. She went immediately to serve her country. To be the hero that she was." I couldn't hep the sob that left my lips and Reece's tightening embrace gave me comfort.

"That night. Dad slept with us. All three of us on one bed. But the next thing we knew we were met with a lot of soldiers , a lot of cars surrounding our house when we came back from school. We were naive. We thought that mom had come home. With happy smiles we rushed inside. Mom had indeed come home but----" I shook my head unable to continue my story. My tears now completely ruining chocolate's shirt. He kissed my forehead signally me to carry on.

"B-but it wasnt her, there was no sign of her.  No sign if her laughter and no sign if her running towards us to kiss our faces. She was gone. Just like that. She died a hero. After that our lives changed a lot. Dad drowned himself in work. I cried myself to sleep every night. And l-luke he was the real hero. He s-stayed strong, he wanted to make mom p-proud so when he was old enough he begged dad to join the a-army. Dad agreed after a lot of begging b-but I didnt. I told him that I need him--" and just like that another wave of emotions took over me.

"Anyways so he eventually joined and I was okay with it. He promised he'd always be there for me. And he kept that promise. U-until t-today---" I choked on my words

"I received a phone c-call, from Afghanistan. They said, t-they said he fought bravely----" I pulled back just to see all color drained from his face I knew he'd started joining the dots.

"H-hes in the ICU. I-it was a critical case. They've shipped him h-here. They say its h-hard to sav-----" Reece cut me off by placing a finger on my lips and just hugged me. I cried. I cried just like before.

Luke promised me. He promised he'd never leave me. He broke the promise. We were supposed to always be there for each other. That's what mom said. But he left. He didnt keep the promise..

Reece had left to go the bathroom, we also decided that he'd be the one telling Zoe and nick. I had called dad with all the strength i had , he was on his way back. He had flipped. I had heard my dad cry. Which just broke my heart more.

After that I just stayed there totally numb abd waited for the hospital's call to tell us he has arrived and tell us about his condition.

    Reece's POV

Numbness thats what i felt. I locked the door of the bathroom. Frustration taking over me. I smashed everything on the counter while punching the mirror. I could feel my hand bleeding but could care less.

I slid down on the floor, my back facing the door and let a single tear slide down my face. Then another and another. Buy I quickly wiped it. I had yi stay strong for riley, Zoe and even nick. I had to grow some balls and be a man.