Why’d it just die out like that? The aether killed it? Huh?

To his surprise it began to shimmer back to life, and he grinned, willing it to light up again. It did, with surprising speed, and soon it was hovering over the desk again.

Dennis nodded, satisfied.

Now I have a desk light! It was a bit dim in here before.

He began copying another rune from the book, but then paused.

The rune of chaos? God’s wobbly jowls! That doesn't sound so good. Do I really want to unleash it?

He rubbed his chin, enjoying the thrill, and then slumped his shoulders.

Err… I don’t think so. Maybe I should figure out how to control these things first…

He began flipping through the book again.

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Matthaios was in the Conservatory, his eyes drawn from his book every few minutes by the brooding black mist gathering over the forest.

The wind was whistling over the dome-shaped roof of the Conservatory, and leaves lay plastered against the glass.

He could see the bowed head of the Norwegian, sitting precariously on the colonnade, and sighed.

I really hope Ben comes inside soon. It’s blowing a gale out there, the colonnade is at least a hundred metres off the ground…

He leaned back, scanning the pages of his book, and sighed.

To be honest, this book is a bit more boring than I expected. Tactics and strategies, historical records of past battles and wars… I’m not the warrior, Ben is.

He sighed and leaned back his head. 

I could be a leader, I suppose. But who would follow me? I’m not particularly brawny or charismatic. 

He tried to read another paragraph, but finally gave up, closing the book with a clap.

I don’t even believe in war! I want peace and harmony. I hate conflict.

He got up, wandering over to the observation platform and putting his eye against the viewing lens of the telescope. 

Clouds billowed angrily on the horizon, and he frowned as he focussed on the black belted rings that encircled the planet. One rock seemed to have come ‘loose’ from the belt, and was getting larger as he watched it.

Oh, come on. It’s not actually falling, is it?

The rock filled up the entire viewfinder of the telescope, and Matthaios backed away, looking up into the sky.

Sure enough, flying toward the Athenaeum at ridiculous speed, was a giant piece of space debris.

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

“BEN!” 

Matthaios’s shout roused Ben from his trance-like reading. He looked over at the tall boy, framed in the Conservatory door, puzzled.

“Get inside! Hurry!”

Ben shrugged. “I’m fine! The wind isn’t bothering me,” he hollered back.

Matthaios looked more agitated than Ben had ever seen him.

“Just—“

“What?—“