"I can do this! This is our only chance, Soren!" She pleaded, wishing he would understand. Annika felt the pressing need to touch him but wasn't sure what would come of it.

     "She's right," Inferno backed her up, "it's either this or we go to war. Zyhed didn't come to talk, and if we don't do this, more people will die." Annika was grateful for her friend who so eloquently put her thoughts into perfect words. 

     Soren shook his head in denial. Annika feared he would never understand.

     "I can do this, I need you to trust-"

     "No, you can't Annika! If you go, you will die!" he roared back. The sky shook with violent thunder, flashing with throughout the overcast with enormous lightening bolts. 

     Annika's tears stopped. Her frame body stiffened. Her exasperation level was reaching new heights, provoking her to do things she normally wouldn't.

     "Soren," Inferno stepped in front of Annika, blocking her view of him, "you need to calm down. Your feelings for her are preventing you from thinking clearly. And if you keep yelling, I'm positive one of those lightening bolts is gonna hit you straight in the ass, go it?" 

     Annika breathed in heavily to steady her nerves. Tornados would come swirling out any moment if she failed to collect herself. Inferno stepped away, showing Soren who had the most hopeless look to his eyes. When he met her gaze, he obviously hated the fright that he saw. 

     "I'm sorry," Annika apologized, stepping forward, "please don't be angry with me. I don't do this to hurt you, I swear I don't. Please don't be upset with me." Soren ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He came closer and clutched her fiercely onto his body until not even the gods from above could separate them. 

     Annika's body wavered, so weak yet so strong with power. "I'm sorry," she repeated over and over again, "I have to, I have to do this." 

     He placed his palms against either sides of her face, forcing Annika to look up at him. "No, I am sorry, I should not have raised my voice at you, especially you of all people. You deserve better than that. I respect you more than that."

     Annika's lips quivered. "Oh, Siren, I know you are only concerned for me. I could never blame you for caring." 

     He huffed out a breath before tightly and passionately pressing his lips to hers. She felt ten times better as his hold was sincere and forgiving. They broke apart to take in air. 

     "Annika, he could kill you. Every instinct is crawling to the surface of my skin, ordering me to not allow that."

     "And neither will I," Annika replied strongly. "Have faith in me. Siren, I can control the sky above us, bend it to my will, and he has no idea! I can beat him, I know I can." 

     He kissed her again. "You will, of course you can. I just do not want you to be harmed. If you are, I may lose my mind. I have seen what he is capable of..." His eyes were haunted in the most awful way, wailing stories of tragedy, like a banshee in the thick fog of death. They were black, lacking any possible hue.

     Her hands skimmed up his chest, curling around the nape of his neck. The feel of his skin was all she needed. Annika touched him for the purpose of giving and taking comfort. "I understand completely, but I can take it. I am going to survive, we both will. We're so close, Siren, we can't give up now." Soren swallowed, and she hated how unsettled he appeared.  

     "Please, just... don't die. I couldn't..." His face contorted with troublesome emotions.

     She shushed him gently, caressing the back of his light blonde hair with her fingers. "I know," she whispered, "I know, Siren. You don't have to say anything more."