Chapter 13: A new mistery

Start from the beginning

"Nope, definitely not." I tried to be serious but there I went again, laughing. She shook her head dismissively, her long curly hair glimmering in the sunlight that came through the glass walls.

It was surprising, how I was suddenly talking so freely with Soyou, even though my heart still beat faster whenever I saw her. Her smile made me wonder how beautiful a person could ever be. She was so friendly that a moment of courage was all it took.

I wish I'd found this courage sooner. But it happened for Minjae, I would give him that.

I couldn't help but wonder again. Did I do something wrong?

"Hey! Your friends are here." Soyou chirped happily. Her eyes somewhere behind me. "Minjae is here too!"

I looked back and found a table a few feet away from us. Changkyun, Jooheon, Minhyuk and, of course, Minjae, even in here making a ruckus. All of them laughing boisterously.

"What are they doing!" Soyou laughed, a smile coming back to my face too watching them. It seemed like Minjae didn't want to eat some pastry and they were all forcing him. Jooheon even took some pastry in his hands and shoved it towards Minjae.

Next second, Minjae's face was a mess with whipped cream all over. They looked at each other then all of them started laughing again. Changkyun pulled out his phone and started clicking Minjae's photos. Even the shop owner was chuckling watching them.

If I was there I would've gotten second hand embarrassment real fast. But I wouldn't deny, it looked fun.

"I totally forgot this, but I should invite your friends to my birthday party too! Minjae would love it." Soyou's voice made me snap my head back to her side.

I cleared my throat grasping what she had just said. "But... they said they were going to camping that day. Including Minjae."

"Oh." She made her mouth o shaped. "Then aren't you going too?"

"No. I'm here for some works."

"Then you can attend!" She cheered happily.

Why did I just lie about the camping thing for no reason at all?

Soyou suddenly started waving her hands to the back. "Minjae!" She called out the boy making him finally notice us.

I calmly kept on drinking my coffee. When the sound of footsteps grew closer I turned my head to the side.

Minhyuk was in front of them. Minjae being short he couldn't see me. When he peered his head from Minhyuk's back, his face lost its colour, his smile faded, still, he brought it back as he greeted Soyou.

"Soyou noona!"

"Minjae!" She got up and lightly hugged him. I could already feel those cheeky eyes from behind. Changkyun put a hand on my shoulder and rubbed it with a mysterious smile on his face.

As if he was whispering. "Nice way to go hyung."

I shivered and jerked away. "Why don't you all eat with us?" Soyou proposed.

Oh no.

"But I have a lot of assignments to do," Minjae said in a sad tone earning disappointed groans from the others.

A part of me was praying that they'd go away. Another part was wondering why Minjae was lying about his assignments to avoid me.

"I have already wasted so much time for them." Minjae gave the others a wary glare. "But I promise that I'll come here with you another day!"

All this time he never shared a glance with me, nor did he look this way. What was his deal?

***

Putting my hands in my pockets I was taking a walk in the garden before going to sleep. My mind wandering off to everywhere, but mainly occupied with Soyou. Her birthday was nearing. As I was thinking of ways to surprise her on her birthday, I kicked a pebble that was lying on the ground.

All of a sudden I remembered that incident. Minjae and I...; he fell on a pebble and we... What kind of person trips on a pebble!

I recoiled at the memory but somehow it made my laugh. Like a crazy person, I was laughing by myself. As I kept on walking, soon I was near the swimming pool.

Then I noticed something in the water. No, it was someone.

Minjae! I rushed to the spot. Right near the side his body was floating in the blue glittering water.

I started pulling him up. What was he trying to do? Suicide!

I pulled his whole body up and realized that he hadn't fainted, he was flapping his arms around. "Are you stupid! Do you have a death wish?" I screamed making him stand up, his legs almost giving up the instant.

"Let me go!" He tried pushing me away but I grabbed both of his hands with mine tightly. Still worried. "I was only swimming!" He yelled.

Minjae tried pushing me away again and that's when we fell.

Both of us. In the water.

For a second, I couldn't see anything as water splashed harshly against my eyes. The cold water hitting my whole body. Shooting my legs to wade through, I opened my eyes when I was on the surface.

Minjae stood in the water, right in front of me with his soaked hair covering his eyes. He pushed them away coughing some water out. "Look what you've done!"

I looked at him surprised, and then it got replaced with anger. "Me?" I looked at myself, my whole body was drenched and I was standing mid-water. "You pushed me off! What the fuck is wrong with you!"

He was calm now. He gave me a look, then both his hands covered his face.

In front of me, he broke down in tears.