- So much staring -

Start from the beginning

At the same time, like it was a bad soap opera, our heads slowly turned towards the shadow that loomed over our table, blocking the gentle sun coming from the outside windows. Between us, at the edge of our bench, stood Theo's friend, Rodrick.

I sighed.

Here we go.

This ball of muscle and stupidity was interrupting my lunch. Rodrick was innocently stupid, and of course, obnoxious. I stared at the tanned skinned boy of Egyptian heritage, wondering what in Luna he wanted, but he wasn't here to be friendly and kind.

"Whoo-hoo," He humoured, glancing at me with an amused expression. "You're in the cafeteria! Welcome back."

I was not amused! Has he not seen people eat before? Yes, shocking, I'm eating in a cafeteria, the same place I was "rejected" and humiliated in. Whoo-hoo indeed!

Before I could respond, he smiled and glanced up in time to catch sight of someone. I followed his attention, turning my head the other way only to see Theo, who glanced at us with unexpected confusion. He had paused in his walk towards his lunch table, staring over at Rodrick and I with a frown.

"Theo!" Rodrick grinned, gesturing to me with his hand. "Looks like I won the bet," Bet!? My hands balled up into fists. I'll make a bet, a bet that I'll beat up his not so pretty face! "See," This time Rodrick looked across, over at a few of the other guys from their lunch table, who were displaying disappointment. "I told you guys Theo's little mate would return back to here from hiding. Ha!" He was grinning from ear to ear, pointing at those who rolled their eyes. "Ya'll owe me twenty dollars!"

I wasn't sure if Theo joined in on the bet, I take it he didn't, he seemed too taken by surprise but that shouldn't and didn't matter to me. What mattered was how... suddenly bland I felt? I didn't like the fact that his friends made bets on me as if I was some weak, little coward. That I was such a coward I hid from the cafeteria and everyone else.

Rodrick, with a goofy expression, glanced back at me while I didn't bother giving Theo another look. I focused on Rodrick's beady dark brown eyes instead. "Thanks, you won me some money." He said.

"No worries, just... Save up with that money would you?" I said sweetly, smiling up at his suddenly confused expression. "Put it to good use. In fact, you could use it to eventually change your god awful name." His confused expression dropped, while few snickers sounded across the lunchroom. My smile was in-tact.

"You need to...uh, urm..." Rodrick was glaring, little thin lips twitching, desperate for any comeback. Clearly it was a struggle for him.

So, instead of adding on to whatever he was going to say, he snapped his head up in Theo's direction. "Teach your mate how to behave!" I glared. Teach? Behave? Me, referred to as his mate? I hastily stood up.

I fought looking at Theo, aware he was probably either going to join in with his friends and take their side, or, would say the very next thing I was about to say, which was, "I'm not his mate."

Silence.

Everywhere.

I had to say it first. I couldn't stand another round of public shaming and rejection.

For a second, I had pursed my lips, unsure of my words and stared across the room at the surprised expressions, but I regained my confidence and jutted out my chin. There's no reason for me to back down now. Why the hell are these morons even surprised? In the very same room, nearly three weeks ago now, Theo announced the very same thing, but when I do it, everyone goes quiet? Sheds no laughter? No amusement?

Huh, I guess Theo really was treated like royalty around here.

Oh and I wanted nothing more but to see what look Theo wore. One of shock? Mundane look of I-don't-give-a-fuck? Perhaps an empty expression just like his soul?