the truth hurts

"Where are we going?" Estella complained as they trudged through the thick trees

"Just follow me," James repeated.

Estella rolled her eyes and continued following James closely. They finally found their way back into the greener forest area. James knelt down to inspect a cluster of mushrooms.

"There's water close by," James proclaimed.

"Are you lost? Which way?" Houston inquired.

"Hang on," James said in his low British voice.

The small group stayed in silence before a large roar startled them. It echoed all throughout the forest.

"Wait here," James ordered and began to walk into the trees, "I've got to get to higher ground to find the river."

Estella didn't even think twice and followed after him, taking quiet steps as to not disturb any hidden creatures. James turned around and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Stella go back," he demanded.

"I'm not going anywhere," Estella sassed.

They had a short lived staring contest before James caved.

"Fine, just don't leave my side," James sighed.

"Don't have to tell me twice," Estella joked.

James looked back at her and smiled before returning to trudging through the bush. They seemed to hike forever as the sun began to set. Both James and Estella scaled a large rock face to find themselves on a cliff that overlooked the island. A dense fog covered the landscape.

"The boat must be around that bend," James commented to himself.

They both stood in silence with their hands linked with one another's. It was a hard earned moment of serenity.

"Oh my god."

A large thump revealed the face of Kong, looking down at the two lovebirds. They were frozen in a complete state of shock. Horror scenes of the massacre he had caused earlier played before Estella's vision. But Kong did not attack them. Instead he stared at them, studying them. His gaze was soft, and looked as though he had been sad and afraid for a long time. She didn't know what possessed her but Estella reached forward a tender hand and placed it on his face. She waited for a violent reaction and instead got a peaceful moment between man and beast. Kong breathed in and out heavily, which whipped Estella's ponytail back. She breathed out a small laugh and slowly retracted her hand. James' lips were slightly parted in shock.