pain

Estella winced in pain as Mason wrapped her wound tightly with a shred of fabric

Estella winced in pain as Mason wrapped her wound tightly with a shred of fabric. Her entire body was tingling as she applied pressure to the bandaged cut. It had gone far deeper than anyone had thought and although she would never admit it, Estella was scared it was a very serious wound.

Houston, San, and Victor all looked more shaken up then even Slivko, who was running around like a madman.

"Calling all units, is anyone airborne? I repeat, is anyone airborne?" Slivko shouted into a hissing radio.

All that returned was static and Slivko dropped the radio to the floor.

"They're all down. Everyone. We're on the south side of the island. There's a river a couple of clicks from here," Conrad explained, "If we stick to its banks we'll make it to the EXFIL site on the north shore."

He began to walk determinedly into the brush and Estella braced herself against a tree, desperate to remain useful. She slowly got to her feet and hissed in pain.

"And then what?" Victor inquired, "All our choppers are down."

Conrad turned sharply and moved closer to him.

"We'll find a way to signal the ship," Conrad suggested, his cold eyes locking with Estella's, "They'll send a search party. We just have to make it by the exit window."

"I should be sitting at a desk," Victor breathed.

Conrad began to make his way over to Estella to check over her wounds. She forced herself to straighten up and bit the inside of her cheek to remain impassive. Conrad looked sympathetic as he lifted up her shirt to reveal an already blood soaked cloth. She felt his fingers run over the bandage and touch her skin. As he retracted his hand she could still feel the tingling where he had brushed.

"Are we just not gonna talk about this?" Slivko shouted.

"My best guess is we're scattered over a 4 to 5 mile radius. We must head north and join anyone we find," Conrad said determinedly and then returned to Estella, "Are you alright?"

"I don't know how to answer that question right now," Estella whispered.

Conrad looked towards where the giant monkey had disappeared and let out a defeated sigh.

"I don't know what that was either," he commented.

"All that money that they paid you? I hope you're worth it," Estella teased.

Conrad smirked and let his eyes drop to the ground. He didn't seem too offended, or at least didn't let it show.

"Are we really not going to talk about it?" Slivko repeated even more obnoxiously, "You know this is not normal right? Stuff like that doesn't just happen!"

"Take a chill pill Slivko," Estella groaned.

Slivko shot her the dirtiest look he could muster and crossed his arms defiantly. Estella mumbled profanities under her breath as she clutched her side.

"Get on my back," Conrad ordered.

"I'm not going to let you carry me through the forest with God knows what lurking behind every corner," Estella challenged, straightening up again.

As soon as she took one step, her entire body caved in on itself. Conrad was swift and caught her under her armpits. Estella flushed pink and bit her bottom lip.

"Maybe I'll take the piggy back," she whispered.

Conrad stood up and allowed Estella to hop on his back despite the excruciating pains that shot through her body. Conrad was pleasantly surprised that she was light and not much of a burden.

"Let's move out," Conrad ordered, alerting everyone to begin to follow.

With Estella on his back, they marched through the heavy brush towards freedom.

1K READS?! WHAT?! Thank you guys so much! And you're in for a treat, there might be a triple update tonight. 🙏🏻

-Em;)