boats & captains

Estella growled in annoyance as her thick duffel bag uncomfortably dug into her already sore shoulder

Estella growled in annoyance as her thick duffel bag uncomfortably dug into her already sore shoulder. She didn't exactly know where she was going but followed the line of the inky black water towards an enormous boat. Estella was disturbed that the night was clear of any celestial objects. Throughout her service the one thing she held onto at night was the appearance of the stars, reminding her that her family back home was looking at the same set.

"Moran! Pick it up!" Packard shouted, who was already walking up the wooden plank.

As much as Estella was relieved to see a familiar face, she didn't care for the yelling. She bit the inside of her cheek angrily and adjusted her bag.

"Estella Moran?" a thin man quickly looked her up and down before checking off her name on a clipboard.

The ship honked its horn obnoxiously and made her jump out of her skin. A nearby group of scientists hid their snickers behind closed hands. She grumbled and kept her head down for the rest of the way onto the boat. No soon had she escaped the embarrassment her body smacked right into another person, a very fit person at that. Her bag dropped heavily onto the floor.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry," Estella apologized and raised her eyes.

She was pleasantly surprised to find herself in the company of a handsome young man. He was tall, but not intimidatingly tall. His large pectorals and bulging biceps made Estella assume he was some kind of army man. He had misty eyes and a stoney face. Estella prayed his exterior was not a representation of his personality. She had already dealt with stoney faced, arrogant bastards in her service.

"No harm done," he said with a slight smile tugging at his lips.

But what made her swoon was his smooth British accent. She had always been a sucker for accents, especially combined with rugged good looks.

"Estella Moran," she introduced, holding out her hand for him to shake.

"Conrad," Conrad wrapped his large hands around her relatively small ones.

They firmly shook hands before retracting them at the same time.

"So is your real name Conrad or is that your last name?" Estella inquired, turning her charm on full blast.

"You're right, it's a last name. Maybe I'll tell you my first name in the future," Conrad responded.

Estella chuckled and smirked grandly.

"Well I love a challenge," Estella said seductively.

And with that, Estella slung her bag more comfortably over her shoulder and strutted away from the amused Captain. She wandered further into the depth of the boat and she couldn't help but smile.

SO SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T UPDATED BUT THE WRITER'S BLOCK WAS REAL. I'LL BE POSSIBLY UPDATING 'IN MY MIND' AND THIS AGAIN TODAY OR TOMORROW.