sacred

Estella leaned heavily into Conrad for support as they sauntered past the tents and shacks the Iwis called homes

Estella leaned heavily into Conrad for support as they sauntered past the tents and shacks the Iwis called homes. Hank Marlow explained to them the culture of the Iwis and made Estella shudder by saying "what lands here tends to stay here".

"As far as I can tell, this ship washed up about ten years before I did," Hank spoke.

The group watched in awe as they approached a large ship that was labeled the WANDERER. It was old and rusty and large holes made the insides clearly visible. Moss and shrubs took over the old boat with their branches and vines, making it look even more dilapidated. Estella wondered what the Iwis could possibly use this massive structure for. As they entered the inside of the boat, Estella was surprised to find that it was cloaked in darkness and various torches were used to find their way through the tunnels.

"This is all hallowed ground to them," Hank warned, "So if you like your hands don't touch anything."

It was nothing like Estella had ever seen. The complete belly of the boat was opened up from erosion and held even larger torches. Rocks that stood up straight in the air like spikes were painted with a white substance and showed what Estella assumed were the monsters and stories of the ancient island. Most of the tribe were praying on their knees at the rock structures.

"Look at that," Mason breathed.

The Iwis came to their feet at the entrance of the foreigners. Conrad looked unsure and on edge as they traveled deeper into the sacred place.

"The way they tell it, for thousands of years the people on this island lived in fear. It's hell of a long time to be scared," Hank told, "And then one day the damnest thing happened. Some of the things they were afraid of, started protecting against the things that were eating them. But nothing lasts forever, I guess."

Estella felt overcome with sadness as a portrait of a monkey bowing his head at the skeletons of much larger monkeys. They approached a giant portrait of the creature they had saw earlier.

"And this is where they honour the last of their saviours," Hank acknowledged, gesturing to the perfectly aligned stones, "That's Kong. He's king around here. He's God to these people. Kong is a pretty good king. Keeps to himself mostly. This is his home. We are just guests here. But you don't go into someone's house and start dropping bombs unless you're picking a fight."

The group awkwardly shifted and Estella bit hard on the inside of her cheek.

"Was Kong the one who killed your friend?" Mason inquired.

Estella raised an eyebrow and looked quizzically over at Mason. What friend? Apparently she had missed more than she realized.

Hank's face hardened as he recalled the murderer.

"No, one of them did," Hank growled, gesturing over to another painting Estella did not see.

They were ugly creatures. Lizard-like and bony with large claws and long wicked tails. Estella shuddered at the thought of ever meeting one.

"Kong is God on the island but the devils live below us," Hank seethed.

"And what are they called?" Conrad spoke up for the first time in hours.

Hank's eyes drifted over to the Iwis before returning to the interested group.

"The Iwis won't speak their name. But I call 'em Skull Crawlers," Hank explained.

"Why?" Estella inquired.

Hank opened his mouth to speak before closing it again. He hadn't anticipated that question in all of his time alone.

"Cause it sounds neat," Hank stuttered.

Conrad and Estella both nodded and shared an awkward look. Estella tried to stuff her laughter but let out a small chuckle.

"I just made that name up. I'm trying to scare you," Hank defended.

"I'm fine calling them that," Estella responded and glanced at Conrad, "Are you feeling it?"

"Yes," Conrad smiled, "Its very good."

"I like the name," Estella added.

Hank furrowed his eyebrows and breathed out quickly.

"I never said the name out loud before. It sounds stupid now that I say it, just... you call whatever you want," Hank mumbled, "Big lizard things. Nasty. They come from the vents. Deep down. That's why Kong got so mad. Cause bombs woke up a bunch of them. I tell you what, you're lucky he's out there too or you would not have made it this far. Crafty bastards. Neat as hell. He can handle them as long as he gets to them when they're still small. You don't wanna wake up the big one."

Estella gulped in fear and stabbed her fingernails into her palm.

"How big is it?" San inquired.

"Bigger than the White daughter's whole family," Hank referenced, "Kong is the last of his kind but he's still growing. And you better hope he does because the Iwis say that once Kong goes, then the big one comes up. And it's good night Irene."

Conrad moved closer to Hank.

"Listen, there's a refuelling team coming to the north end of the island in three days," Conrad explained.

"You should come with us," Mason offered.

"At the north end of the island?" Hank said in surprise.

Conrad smiled and said, "We're going to get out of here."

"In three days?" Hank asked.

"Yes," Conrad answered.

Hank began to manically laugh and pat Conrad's cheeks which swept the smiles from everyone's faces.

"We can't get to the north end in three days," Hank scolded, "Its impossible. That's it. No way."

Estella dropped her head into her hands and rubbed her temples, seeking relief from her already pounding headache.

"At least not on foot," Hank added.

THERE! IT'S A REAL CHAPTER! TWO MORE COMING YOUR WAY TODAY AND TOMORROW!

Finally got my Wattpad figured out and my writers block to drift away. Be expecting some more romantic scenes between Estella and Conrad (Conella? Esrad?) and not just dialogue from the movie. Writing dialogue is very painful but is important for the story to have a proper plot and progress.

Till next time.

-Em ;)