hollow earth

"It's called the Hollow Earth theory," Houston explained, "Randa hired me because I wrote a paper substantiating what most people think is a crackpot idea

"It's called the Hollow Earth theory," Houston explained, "Randa hired me because I wrote a paper substantiating what most people think is a crackpot idea. That there are these massive underground spaces isolated form the surface world."

"Randa believed this island may be one of those," San chimed in.

Estella thumped along on Conrad's back as Houston and San divulged into something she couldn't really care less about at the moment. Her vision was beginning to blur at the edges and her breathing becoming uneven. It didn't help that the bugs and sun were both very active.

"An emergence point for whatever lives below," Houston continued, "Ancient species like what we just saw. I thought he was out of his mind."

The mismatched group emerged from the trees into a field of tall grass. It reminded Estella of grass she used to play in as a child.

"This is Slivko, do you read? Anybody out there? We are headed north of the EXFIL location," Slivko was adamantly trying to reach another group.

They continued to trek through the thick grass as the sun beat down more heavily now that they were not covered by trees.

"Everyone here seems way too calm right now," Slivko commented.

"We're out of range Slivko," Conrad said calmly, "Save it for when we get closer to the group."

Estella looked over Conrad's bulky shoulders as their trek led towards a large lake with moss and various aquatic vegetation. Before they could continue past the lake, an enormous yak like creature emerged from the water and began to inch closer to the group.

Slivko drew his weapon and pointed it at the intimidating creature.

"Nobody move," Conrad warned, "Easy."

The creature continued inching forwards before stopping and snorting in annoyance.

"Slivko," Conrad called.

"What?" Slivko inquired.

Conrad raised his hand and placed it on the edge of Slivko's gun. Slowly, Conrad lowered the gun.

"Put it down," Conrad ordered.

The creature turned its head and stalked in the opposite direction of the crew. Everyone let out an audible sigh of relief. Mason snapped pictures quickly and Estella smiled.

Suddenly the entire world started to spin and black dots blurred Estella's vision.

"Conrad," she mumbled, "I don't feel so good."

(would like to apologize for this unintended reference and any pain i have caused anyone)

Before Conrad even had a chance to ask her what was wrong, she fell off of his back and collapsed on the floor. Her body writhed in agony as she twitched violently.

"She's having a seizure!" Mason screamed, bending down beside her.

No soon had it started, Estella stopped convulsing. Conrad rolled her onto her side and pressed his fingers onto the side of her neck.

"There's a pulse, she's going to be fine," Conrad choked, his throat suddenly dry, "We just need to find somewhere to heal her."

"Where the hell is that?" Slivko shouted, still scared from the animal and his best friend convulsing on the ground.

"I don't know, we'll have to find it," Conrad said solemnly, "Now get some rope and strap her to my back. Let's move out!"

One more chapter coming up! It's going to be when Estella wakes up so I'm skipping when they first meet Hank Marlow and everything. Sorry...