"They have already punished me," I said in a faint lifeless voice. There was more my avatar friends didn't know, but I had no heart to tell them what had befallen me.

The golden wheels spun ceaselessly and made no sounds except the whizzing noises of exceeded speed and occasional neighing of the horses. We had traveled so far away from any towns and dwellings. Now sailing through a deep dark forest, I couldn't see what was ahead of us. Everywhere was pitch black like inked fabric hung in the air. A sporadic glimpse of wild animals fleeted the areas from the lights of the fiery steeds.

But soon I began to notice all around us, in every corner, hovered the murmurs of omen among wild birds. Then the chirping noises grew louder as we rode passed columns of enormous trees. Suddenly, Atith brought the chariot to a crawl.

"Why are we slowing?" I asked. But then I understood.

The sound of night owls echoed from a distance like a cry of caution. After a moment, the forest grew strangely still. We saw a splendid temple at the far distance in front of us. The stone structure was a typical shrine surrounded by walls. The temple's ground was a square shape with the outermost four gates and water-moat wrapped all around. The main tower was built in tiers like a pyramid, which narrowed at the top.

"What is that temple?" Atith breathed. "We don't see it on the map, do we?"

"No," I said, studying the map again. We had passed a few temples along the way, but there was nothing to indicate that there was one in the forest here.

By now Kesar had already awakened to gather what happened. She was still blinking away the remaining sleep in her eyes.

"I have a bad inkling about this place," Samudra spoke for the first time during the ride. Atith poised his golden spear as he stood looking.

"Where are the guards and shrine maidens?" he said. "Should we go inside? We can have a short rest there."

"No, it could be the demons' trap," Tusita said without a lengthy contemplation. Her brows furrowed as her eyes glanced around the areas like an eagle scouting for prey. Then she stood and opened her palm. The golden mist started weaving about her hand, and a magical bow appeared. I realized whatever made the Sky Lord's daughter draw out her celestial astra was no small threat.

"Atith, you stay and keep the horses ready while I go and explore the compound with Samudra," she said and then jumped right off the chariot. Samudra followed. I was about to follow them too but Kesar gripped my arm. Her dark glittering eyes were filled with worries and fear.

"Nikita, don't go," she whispered with a pleading look.

"I shall be fine," I told her reassuringly. "You stay here in the safe distance."

"Then let me come with you," she begged again and wouldn't let go of me. "There's no telling what would happen if you're out of sight."

I turned to look at Tusita and Samudra who were traversing towards the mysterious place.

"Wait!" I called out to them and then turned back to Kesar again. "If you wish to come along then stay by my side always. If anything goes wrong, you must take flight immediately, do you understand me?"

The maiden nodded and then we both hurried out of the chariot to join the others. Atith kept alert on the chariot while flames streamed out softly from his obedient steeds.

"Could it be an abandoned shrine?" Atith cried from behind. "We should not be bothered."

"Hush, whatever it is, we must destroy it," Tusita said resolutely. "This thing is wrong in this place. Who knows what it is before it's too late?"