CHAPTER ONE - THE SATUS (Part 5)

Gently ordering us to sit down and take our equipment out of our bags, we all settled into our seats to listen to the lesson’s objectives.

As we started to complete the first task, she wrote on the blackboard. Another student burst into the class out of breath, holding a note to explain why he was late. ‘Okay - go and sit over there and I’ll explain what you need to do in a second.’ Mrs Baxter looked slightly annoyed by the note. She pointed at him to sit in the seat behind mine and some unknown force meant my eyes were transfixed to his.

He sat behind me, next to another boy and it took all my energy not to turn around to see the mysterious shimmer in his eyes. Flecks of red and gold radiated from his stare and he began to speak to the student next to him, getting help with the work.

I could see it wasn’t a medical condition, which first entered my mind - it was something more deadly. I dropped my pencil on purpose, to allow myself an excuse to continue my investigation, and with that I slowly turned around to witness the lethal show, like a cat playing with an unfortunate mouse.

As he was speaking to the student, his glare grew more intense and I could see he didn’t care that I was watching him. He merely continued to enchant this poor boy.

He whispered something into the boy’s ear and for a second, he was in a trance, gazing into thin air, until he got off his chair and walked towards me. The witches and wizards in the class sensed the danger and came rushing over. ‘Don’t touch him, Faith,’ one of the wizards whispered, as we all watched to see what he had been commanded to do.

He knelt on the floor and picked up my pencil, ‘I-I think y-y-you are beautiful,’ he stammered. I looked at him in shock and accepted the pencil gratefully from his shaky hand.

I looked at his mysterious desk buddy and I could see him mouthing words behind this zombie-like boy. It became clear that he was controlling his words and actions in some way, and I was mesmerised by his control. Just as I was about to touch the boy to see whether he was alright, the alarm bell rang and he snapped out of it. ‘Right children, the Head would like to see you all in the hall now to welcome you to Laxo High. Gather your belongings and make your way there,’ Mrs Baxter ordered.

Still in disbelief at what I had witnessed, I didn’t have chance to explore anymore. I was whisked away by my fellow witches and wizards, and was given the ultimate warning to stay away from this mysterious boy, whose name, I learnt, was Rohan. I was determined, though; I would discover more about this talented, powerful being, regardless of what my circle said.

Unfortunately, that was the last time I saw him. I always wondered if he was exiled for using his powers on a Namuh.

******

Over the next three years, my life changed beyond belief. I was clearly never going to be the same again.

School was my escapism; though my family continued to gradually integrate me into my new calling. ‘I don’t want to wear this,’ I moaned to my mother as she nipped and tucked the ceremonial wedding gown to my skinny frame. She was unhappy at this, as she’d passed it down to me specifically for the second stage of my marriage to Damien. ‘Stop squirming otherwise the pins will stab you!’ she growled as her patience was wearing thin and the stress of organising such an important event began to show on her normally smooth brow.