1. New Beginnings

{Sandgem Town | Sandgem High}

The crisp air of autumn whipped me relentlessly, stray hairs patterned themselves over my face as I rode my bicycle down the road

The crisp air of autumn whipped me relentlessly, stray hairs patterned themselves over my face as I rode my bicycle down the road. It was a smooth journey, nothing too far from home; just Twinleaf to Sandgem. There weren't too many students around, which was great for me. I hadn't planned on arriving early for my first day at Rowan's High School, but the change of atmosphere was necessary.

Today was the start of a new Dawn. A new me. In all honesty, I didn't even expect to be accepted into here, and was more ready to study fashion at Hearthome. Sandgem High School was one of the few facilities throughout the regions that distributed Pokélicenses to all graduating students; the academic profile was exceptional.

I wasn't looking forward to being lonely with only two current friends joining me from Middle School, and yet the idea of a clean slate seemed appealing. My nerves were mixed with the thought of finally getting the Piplup I had chosen, sending bolts of excitement into my veins.

My mind wandered back to today morning as I took a turn...

***
After quickly grabbing my school bag, I knocked on Mum's door.

"I'm gonna head out now, wish me luck."

"D-Dawn?" her faint voice widened my eyes and I gulped before entering her room.

"What did he do this time?"

"He said he wants to visit."

I clenched my fists, "Why? We all know what that results in."

She sighed, "Have a good day."

Rolling my eyes, I stalked out of the house, now the threat of coming home to him hovered over me.
***

I shrugged the negativity off my mind and widened my eyes as I approached the massive building. It wasn't shabby for something that had been standing for the last fifteen years. The school was split into two buildings that were only connected by a short bridge. It stood solidly at four floors high; the front was surrounded by short grass, benches and willowy trees. What the initial appearance discreted were the courts that lay behind the building, specifically tailored for battles.

A group of guys were playing a game of soccer on the field and as I locked my bike up I realised they were also freshmen. The only way to tell the years apart was due to our coloured ties: blue for freshman, red for juniors and black for seniors.

Neither of my friends were here yet, and I didn't want to make a fool of myself by becoming lost on the first day. I sighed and instead waited against a post, accidentally catching the eye of a spiky brunette. He sent me a wink and let out a low whistle, causing one of his friends to punch his arm.