-T W E N T Y - T H R E E-

Start from the beginning

"I ship it," She smiled. "They're actual goals."

Before I could respond, I realized Indie was awfully quiet. I noticed she was inching towards my breakfast tray. I swatted her away right before she could reach it. She frowned at me and I enjoyed my special breakfast. Dad made all of my favorite breakfast foods like French toast and bacon. He even made sure to include the bottle of syrup so I could drizzle it all over my plate.

Once I finished, I took a shower. Indie and Kira wanted to take me birthday shopping. I knew Indie came up with the idea because Kira isn't too crazy on walking around for hours holding bags of clothes. I decided on a cream sweater and skinny jeans. I pulled my usually curly afro into a ponytail.

Indie and Kira both left, saying they'd be back soon. While I waited for them, I scrolled through social media on my phone. I felt someone plop down next to me. I glanced over at my sister who held the TV remote in one hand and her phone in the other.

"Hey, Lin-"

"Shut up, I'm watching tv," She snapped.

I gave her a puzzled look, "But the tv isn't even on."

She groaned, "You're such a brat! I'm clearly thinking about what I want to watch. How can I focus when you keep yapping in my ear?!"

What's wrong with the wicked witch?

I opened my mouth to say something, but I heard a knock at the door. I answered the door, happy to be away from Lindsay. She wasn't usually this moody. Not even when she was on her period. When I answered the door, Griffin stood there.

"Hey, Griffin," I smiled.

"Hey, Mackenzie. Is Tanner here?"

My mood slowly began to sink. My birthday didn't have to be some big event. I usually didn't make my birthday a big deal. However, it was my eighteenth birthday. One of my most important birthdays. I was hoping Griffin would remember and here he is asking for my brother.

"Yeah, he's in his room," I stopped Griffin before he could walk past me. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

He thought for a moment before shaking his head, "No."

I bit my lip, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, "I'm not that old, Mackenzie. I still have a pretty good memory."

Your goldfish has a better memory than him. And he's a goldfish. And dead.

I shrugged it off, not wanting to ruin my day with my besties. I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me. Griffin's my friend, which means he should at least remember my birthday. Besides that, he's a Reaper. He knew my birthday before he knew me. For him to forget so easily was kind of a slap in the face. I remembered his "birthday."

As soon as Kira and Indie arrived, I hurried to leave. I needed to get my mind off of things. It took a bit longer to get to the mall since there was snow on the road. The minute we arrived, I realized it was a mistake to go shopping two days before Christmas. People were rushing around trying to get their last-minute gifts. I was suddenly glad I did my shopping weeks ago.

Indie immediately dragged me to the expensive side of the side. I never come to this side. Everything is way too expensive and I don't have money like that to spend. I knew if I'd pass out by looking at the price tag. However, Indie wouldn't let me leave until I picked out something for her to buy.

Kira squealed, clapping her hands. Indie nodded, "Nice."

I sighed, "Why do I need a birthday dress? It's not like many people really care."