Chapter 4- An invitation

That first hunt was a major learning curve. My first kill taught me that not everything is scared of you, and nothing can be trusted! My plan remains the same... The method has become somewhat traditional.

Monica found her own rodent. She tried to pick it up, but it's unnatural teeth tore deep into skin. Within seconds the creatures heart had stopped and Monica's hand had healed.

"How?" El was in awe.

"How would you have done it?"

"I would've stabbed it, I think. How did you do that?"

"I made it think that I was food and turned my blood to poison. When it bit me, I wanted my hand to heal. Isn't that how we we're taught?"

"Not even the masters can control animals without touching them." El's eyes betrayed her fear while her face had never lost that hyper smile.

There was a snap behind then. The others were in front. Monica closed her eyes. She focused on her senses and wanted too know what made the noise. She could hear breathing, it was several meters away. Short, old and fat man. He was bloodlust. Monica recognised his stench. He was stalking them.
"Get down." She whispered to El.
El obeyed, and lay flat on the dirt. Monica had disappeared. El looked over her shoulder and saw the bloodlust sink his fangs into Monica's neck. Her nose was bleeding, but the blood turned hard as dusty as it left her body. The bloodlust noticed too. He choked on the dust. Monica used his choking to her advantage, and sunk her fangs into his neck, draining him in a minute.
Her skin lost colour, and the sun descended below the horizon. Monica limped back to her friend, and the wave that heard the commotion, and saw the fight.
El's breathing was erratic. Her thoughts tripped over themselves. Her heart felt ready to explode. All she can say is "You survived!"

...

The month was nearly over. Monica spent her time in the hunting grounds honing her senses, so she could see and hear anything before they knew she was there. Because of this, Implant had the biggest meat count they had ever had.

Monica and El were out for the last time. The animals became scarce, and bodies of the other factions were piling up in the community. The world wreaked of that sickening death stench. Night had fallen, so today the wave had to be extra vigilant of the Luna's. Monica hadn't met one yet.

"Hold up!" The, now only,  six man team obeyed Monica's command. She could hear a fight. "Four men, fighting. To the East. About a kilometer."
The wave leader decided to attack them. They headed East.

300 meteres away from the skirmish, the wave took cover behind a rock. The fighters were evenly matched a definitely bigger than Olly. The Luna's were like nothing Monica had ever seen before. They were so much bigger and stronger than the bloodlust, but the bloodlust were much quicker. They couldn't get to their fangs through the thick skin of the Luna at night. Monica watched as a bloodlust, who was becoming cocky, didn't move quick enough. The giant Luna fighting him, closed his fist around the head of bloodsucker. The cracking skull echoed in the dead emptiness of the hunting ground. The second bloodlust now had two fully powered Luna's to fight.
"They're outnumbered," The wave leader started. "If we--"
"They will crush us!" One of the teammates interrupted.
Olly defended his leader. "If we take the four of them home tonight, we will surely win this hunt! Fight you coward!"
El was also against the idea of attacking these guys. She knew exactly what they could do. But her opinions were reserved for her friend.
Monica had faith. She had proven herself to be apt at using her power effectively.
"Did you get that Monica?" The wave leader finished.
"Sorry? What?" Monica was snapped out of her thoughts.
"You and El, take them down. She knows where to hit them. The four of us will distract them."