Cold Metal

"You're excited over boxes filled with metal?" Obi's skepticism fails to dampen my mood.

"Expensive boxes of metal," Mitsuhide corrects. He earns an elbow to the stomach from Kiki.

"They're specially made pieces of metal by a friend Vela taught. The things Vela can make are actually rather impressive. The technology she creates doesn't seem proper for this time line."

"Thank you, Kiki. It could be proper if we looked into it more; studied it more."

I drag the large box over to my desk, "Hey, Kiki, could you place the box with the tools on my desk for me." I start digging through the pieces of metal and wire.

A tap on my shoulder makes me turn around to find Mitsuhide standing behind me nervously.

He holds out a package and letter, "From Zen."

I grab it, but Mitsuhide holds onto it, "I just want to say I'm really sorry for my reaction. I know it hurt you and-"

I place a hand on his forearm, "No need for apologies. I understand."

Mitsuhide gives me an appreciative smile and leaves with Kiki.

I toss the letter and package on my bed and go back to rummaging through the parts in the box.

"You forgive easily," I hear the slight creak of my bed when Obi sits on it.

I pull out a number of items and push the box away, "I guess."

I pick some tools and push that box away as well. I start twisting wires and soldering, "Have you heard anything about Zen's meeting?"

"Not much. The people who he's supposed to meet with were on business of their own. They should be back soon though."

I look back to see why Obi sounds so distracted. I find him holding my letter up to the fading light of the sun.

I turn back to my work, "Would you mind not attempting to read personal stuff?"

I hear him flopping onto my bed. Silence ensues as I continue working.

-

"Finished," I turn a small key on the little contraption I've made. The end has a flickering light at the end and it walks around in mindless circles. I smile watching it. I had never seen fireflies before, but my father had told me about them.

I turn to show Obi, but he's asleep. I shake my head, smiling.

I put up everything as quietly as I can so I don't wake him.

Once my desk is empty except for my tiny creation I turn back to Obi.

I see him loosely holding the package. I grab the note and read it before attempting to take the package from Obi.

I believe this belongs to you. I'm sorry we took it away. Nothing has changed except for our behaviour towards you. You haven't done anything wrong. Once again I'm sorry.

Zen

How cordial of the prince.

I slowly reach for the box. It's almost out of Obi's grip full when his hand reaches out and grabs my arm, pinning me to the bed.

"Hurt arm, hurt arm, hurt arm," I wince.

"Oh sorry."

The pressure on my arm is released and Obi climbs off my back. I sit up holding my arm to my torso gingerly.

"Geez, those reflexes of yours sure are something."

I glimpse the package still in Obi's hand. I hold my hand out, palm up, "May I have my package now? I did go through all this trouble just for that."

Obi looks down at it as if realizing for the first time he was holding it. He hands the package to me.

I take it and unwrap it already knowing what it was. The cloth falls away from the knife, now clean from any blood.

I trace the Mauranian crest and a wave of homesickness washes over me. Homesickness for my family and not the actual country.

I glance up and see Obi staring at the knife with unconcealed revulsion. I slip it into my pocket.

"Did something happen?"

Obi looks at me, not responding.

"I know that Maura's assassins have affected many lives and are hated by many. I know something happened, so why don't you just tell me?"

"Why? So you can gloat and relish in your kin's victory?" Obi's expression is dark and loathing.

I shake my head and laugh exasperatedly, "You are absolutely absurd! How daft are you? Those back in my country are not my kin." The venom in my voice is deadly. "I hate them as much as you do if not more."

I take a deep breath to calm myself.

I open my eyes and look at the stoic Obi in front of me, "How about this, I tell you my sob story if you tell me yours?"

No affirmation.

"Well I don't hear any objection," I wait a few minutes longer, "and you're not leaving even though it's late."

My only response is Obi leaning against a bedpost.

I sigh, "Fine then."

Hopefully I didn't regret telling him and he trusted me enough to tell me his story.