One: Welcome to Hartfeld University

I got out my car and closed the door behind me. I turned around to see the university I enrolled in: Hartfeld University. Known as one of North America's most elite academic institutions. I didn't think I was going to be nervous, but looking at this immense, beautiful construction, I had to take a breath. I checked my clothes in the car window. With my black jeans, black and gray plaid shirt, golden necklace and a gray crop top that showed just enough of my tanned skin, I felt pretty good. I finger-combed my red shoulder-length hair and went to my trunk. Grabbing my suitcase, I took another deep breath and told myself not to worry to much.

As I walked across a busy campus filled with students finding their friends, I realized how heavy my suitcase was.

"Ugh. This suitcase weighs like a thousand pounds. Maybe I shouldn't have brought so much..."

Nevertheless, I went on, pulling hard on my suitcase and determined to get to my dorm. I paused, took a few breaths and continued, rounding a corner. Then, I smacked right into a poor guy who was jogging by.

"Whoa!" He exclaimed.

We both got knocked off our feet and fell to the ground. If this were anyone else, I'd probably be laughing at them. Unfortunately, we were the ones being laughed at by passing college girls.

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" I asked him, concerned.

"My ego's a little bruised, I gotta admit."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"If the other guys on the football team saw me get tackled by a pretty girl, they'd never let me forget it." He explained.

He got up, then offered me a hand and helped me get up.

"I'm Chris, by the way. Nice to meet you." He says.

"Likewise. I'm Mia."

"Mia... kind of rings a bell for some reason. Huh."

I shrugged. "It's a common name."

"Yeah I guess it is. Anyways... are you okay? Nothing broken, I hope."

"I'll be fine. My hand's just a little scraped up."

"Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"Well, you could get on your knees and beg for forgiveness." I joked.

Chris got down on one knee. I started smiling at his goofiness and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Mia, will you accept my--"

"Oh wow! Spontaneous proposal. I gotta get this on camera." A voice behind me says.

I uncrossed my arms and turned to face him. "No! Wait, it's not like that!"

Chris cleared his throat. "Uh, maybe I should stand up."

"You think?" I reply, giggling.

Suddenly, a gorgeous blonde girl appeared next to him. "Chris! There you are! Don't forget about the Kappa house mixer tonight."

"Oh... Becca. Hey." He said with little enthusiasm, if not zero. "I'd love to go, but I promised my roommates I'd hang out with them."

"Too bad... I promise you'd have a better time with me..."

"Uh, we're kind of in the middle of a conversation." I interrupted.

She looked over to me as if she were just noticing me and glared. "It looked to me like you were just leaving."

"Actually--"

Interrupting me, Becca dropped her iced coffee at my feet, splashing it all over me.