Prologue

Valarie's POV

I yawned as I entered my room. My five-year-old daughter, Kiri, was already asleep on her bed. She's the only thing that keeps me going now. I work from sun up until sun down, and it takes so much out of me. I thank Lord Michel every day for giving me this job in the castle a month ago as well as providing my child and I room and board.

Looking over at Kiri, I smile again. She looks so much like me, but she also has so much of her father in her. There are times I feel so heartbroken for leaving him; I wake up almost every night crying for him. Then there's Kiri. Lately, she's been growing so much, I don't think she has time to miss the father she never knew. She learned to say goodbye before she was even born. That's probably why she's so much stronger than I am: I still haven't truly said goodbye to Damian in my heart. Maybe some day I'll have the strength to go back to San Lorenzo, my homeland, and we'll find each other again. But I can't stay there now. Either way, I hope my little girl stays just like her old man: stronger than I am.

1 Year Later

Kiri rushed to my side as I put the tea kettle on the stove for Lord Michel's guests. Today, the royal families from the six kingdoms have come to participate in discussions with Lord Michel to strengthen alliances in such. I'm not exactly sure what they talk about at these meetings; politics is over my head.

"Mama!" Kiri hisses as she hides behind my legs. "I just met a real life prince!"

"Did you say hi?" I ask her. The princes can't be more than a couple years older than Kiri herself, so I see no harm in her saying hello. Though, I didn't grow up in a monarchy, I doubt there is a rule forbidding Kiri from talking to royalty.

"I did, but he was so mean! Prince Charming is a bully!" She puffed out her cheeks as she crossed her arms. I know I shouldn't laugh, but she is so cute.

"He's royalty; they're born like that," John, the cook, pipes up.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Kiri. "What happened?" Surely my daughter didn't do anything that would cause a prince to behave badly. Right?

"I was going to play in the garden, and I saw a boy. I said 'hello' but he got snobby and said 'the help shouldn't speak to royalty' so I got mad and told him that he should be nicer, but then he stuck his tongue out at me!" She began tearing up at this. "He's supposed to be nice!"

"Baby," I said as I squatted to her level and brushed her tears away. "The prince is used to a different set of rules than we are. He's from a country where things are different, so he may not realize how mean he was being. Do you understand?" She nodded. "Good. And one more thing, sweetheart, don't you ever let anyone make you feel less than because of your circumstances; you are strength and power and love. And please, don't forget it." She seemed confused but nodded. I know she's young and probably doesn't understand, but someday someone is going to talk down to her, and she won't break because she will know her worth.

"Cakes are done," John calls.

I sigh as I stand up and ask, "Kiri, do you wanna help me with the tea?" She beamed as she climbed onto a stool to watch me prepare the tea and cakes.

We had only just finished putting everything on the serving trays when four little boys ran into the kitchen. I could tell from the way they were dressed that they were princes. Judging from their age, I would guess the blonde one with the sharp blue eyes was Prince Wilfred, the brunette with the frown on his face must have been Prince Keith, the other brunette with the large smile was probably Prince Roberto, and the silver-haired boy was Prince Edward.

"Found you!" Prince Roberto exclaimed as he caught sight of Kiri. "Go on, Keithster!" He pushed a red-faced Keith forward.

"I'm-I-I'm sorry for being mean." He forced out as he bowed to Kiri. She chewed her lip, a habit she picked up from me when I was thinking about something.

"It's ok." She finally said.

"Do you want to play with us in the garden?" Edward asked. Kiri hesitated before looking at me for permission. I gave her a nudge before they all ran off to play. Little did I know that they would form a lifelong friendship that day.

10 Years Later

Kiri and I just returned to Noble Michel yesterday; we had gone to my parent's house in San Lorenzo for the holidays. I had wanted Kiri to know her grandparents, so ever since she was six, I had been sending her to live with them for the summer, and we went together during the holidays. We've been doing this for ten years now.

It seems she makes friends everywhere she goes. The first year she went, she complained she would miss her friends, the princes, but within two days, she had made friends with the boy next door. I'm glad she is able to adjust so well no matter what happens.

I'm feeling dizzy, so I take a seat on a stool in the kitchen. Just as I sit, Kiri comes in. At sixteen, she's already studying for college entrance exams at the end of the this year. She's so much like her father. I'm grateful to Lord Michel for allowing her to stay with me so she doesn't have to get a job, and she can focus on her senior year.

The dizziness gets worse, and everything goes black. I don't have the strength to open my eyes. Kiri is calling my name, but she sounds so far away. I just need to sleep. I just need rest.

Kiri's POV

A Week Later

We buried my mother today in the soil of our homeland. It was a small graveside service, and only my grandparents and I were in attendance. My mom didn't like funerals. She hated sad things, and she always told me that in the event of her death, she didn't want anything big. Not that we could afford it anyway.

I'm sitting in an overstuffed chair with my feet curled under me at my grandparent's home. I don't think I've moved from this spot since we came back from the funeral three hours ago. I know it's selfish, but I don't know what's going to happen to me. I'm sixteen, so technically, my grandparents have custody of me, but I was just accepted into the most prestigious university in the kingdom of Charles. I have no idea what to do now. I wish my mom was still here. I wish she told me about my dad. I can wish for a million things right now, but nothing will bring my mom back.

My grandmother offered me some coffee, so I slowly nodded and accepted the mug. Right now, I just need to grieve. Maybe I'll wake up from this nightmare given enough time.