Chapter 24

"Josh you don't have to do anything, I will be ok really I swear," I protested. I didn't want Josh to do something he would regret in the long run.

"No, its not ok. That bastard thinks he can mess with my girlfriend," he growled, flexing his jaw. I love it when guys flex their jaws...

Right then my phone buzzed.

MOM: DINNER'S READY, COME HOME NOW PLEASE

I sighed, I needed to make sure Josh didn't do anything rash.

"Josh, we will work this out tomorrow ok? I have to go," I said quietly.

I wasn't thinking straight, and didn't know that me leaving Josh was a big mistake.

He was still shaking, but he nodded and kissed my cheek. I gave a little wave then sprinted to my house.

"Mom I'm home!" I called once I was inside.

"We're in the dining room!" I heard her muffled reply.

That's weird, we never eat in the dining room. Unless it's a holiday or someone important is over.

I was almost to the dining room before my mom came running out and turned me towards the stairs.

"Honey someone from the U is here for dinner, and you need to change," she explained steering me towards the stair case.

"Wait right here," she ordered, sitting me on my bed.

I nodded and let my thoughts drift to Josh and what he was doing. Little did I know, Josh was no longer at home. He had decided to take matters into his own hands.

"Ok Mel I have a surprise for you," my mom said, holding her hands behind her back.

She smiled brightly and brought the most beautiful dress to my attention. 

"Mom, it's gorgeous!" I exclaimed, running the fabric through my fingers.

It was a sleevless, light, flowing, knee-length dress with blue sequens patterned around the V-neck collar. 

It was simple but exquisite, casual but elegant, and appropriate but beautiful all at the same time.

"Oh its nothing really, I was just going through some of my old things from my teen years and found it tucked away in some box," she explained. She loved the dress at one point too, I could tell by the way she stared at it, memories swimming behind her eyes.

"Its perfect," I said pulling her into a bone crushing, bear hug.

"Well go put it on, our guest is waiting," she said snapping out of her trance.

I ran into my bathroom and jumped out of my clothes. I pulled the dress over my head and felt the soft fabric hug my hips, it was beautiful.

I re-did my make up and loosly curled my hair, then ran downstairs to greet our guest.

I walked into the dining room slowly, and waited for someone to notice me.

"There she is!' My father bellowed, "Mel come here and say hello to mr. Healey."

"Oh come on Tim, I think we know eachother well enough to be on a first name basis, please call me Mike," he said extending a hand.

I shook his hand shyly but firmly, I knew how to give a good hand shake. I took the seat next to him.

"Yup, I haven't seen you since you were about this big," he said holding his hands out for emphasis.

"You probably don't remember Mike, he was my college buddy" my dad explained.

"Hey don't forget about Sara! We were pretty close back then too," he said winking at my mom. She blushed and looked down at her food.

"Anyways, getting to the point," my father said looking a little annoyed "Melissa has just enrolled in the U for business" he exclaimed proudly.

"That's great! What are you thinking of doing when you get older?" Mike asked.

"I am thinking of opening my own fitness club," I explained as confidently as I could.

"Ooh rough business, I have confidence in you though girl, I see something in you. I don't know what it is but you are special, I can tell. Do you think I would be as successful as I am now if I hadn't had something special too? Probably not. You chase your dreams girl, and you will go far, I promise you." He finished with a satisfied look on his face.

After his big speech dinner went by really fast, I cleared the plates while my parents chatted with him for a little. We said goodbye and he was on his way.

"Melissa you did great," my father exclaimed proudly.

"Did what?" I asked.

"You have no clue who Mike is do you?" He said, laughter in his eyes.

"No?"

"He is a recruiter."

"For what?" 

"Harvard business school," he replied simply.

I stared at him dumbfounded. I thought he was from the U of M?

"You mean THE Harvard?" I managed to choke out.

"The one and only," he laughed.

"WHAT DID HE SAY" I yelled.

"He asked if you were interested in attending Harvard business school, but I said that you were already going to the U," he said seriously.

"WHAT, HOW COULD YOU! YOU TURNED DOWN HARVARD? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME?! I HAVE WORKED SO HARD, AND YOU TURN IT DOWN JUST SO I CAN GO TO YOUR OLD SCHOOL? YOU HAVE SOME ISSUES YOU NEED TO WORK OUT MAN!" I screeched.

"Melissa calm down I'm just  kidding!" He reasoned, holding up his hands.

"That wasn't funny," I mumble.

"I did tell him that financially it would be hard on us though, and he said he will see what he can do, Mel I'm so proud of you," he said tears forming in his eyes.

"Thanks dad, can I go to Josh's to tell him?" I ask.

"Sure, just text me if anything changes ok?" 

"I promise," I say, and with that I turn and run to Josh's house, forgetting that I was still wearing my moms dress.

____________________________________________

I have another book I'm going to do when I'm done with this one. It will also be rated R, you will see why later but I am going to put my heart and soul into it, and make it the best possible book it can be. I will really try to outdo myself on it.

-Jen

p.s. follow me on twitter @JennaRBw