Chapter 1

Courtney's death really took me by surprise. I mean, we had our ups and downs but she was the only thing keeping me together... Frances was too, but Courtney and I had some sort of connection. It was unexplainable. I think mainly because we both sort of held each other together, cleaning up after one another, including our heroin needles. Doing heroin isn't something I'm proud of, it eases my stomach pains... and helps me forget about all the worries in life for hours. Frances was laying in the middle of the carpet babbling away in the living room as I prepared her bottle. She and I were supposed to head over to Dave's to work on new music. I'm not taking Courtney's death very well, but it doesn't mean I'm going to put my whole life on pause. Death is something that happens, we're all going to die eventually.

The seventeen-hour car ride felt like a seventeen-year car ride. The many stops for milk for Frances, diapers, and food for me made it even longer. I decided to leave the cat at home because it reminded me too much of Courtney. Yes, Frances came from Courtney but she looked much more like me rather than Courtney. We arrived at a two story old fashioned house at the end of a beat up road. You'd think with the money Dave earns, he'd at least pick a more cleaned up spot to live. Double checking the address I have written down on paper, I proceeded to get out of the car and open the back seat door to retrieve Frances. "Shhh... Baby, it's okay daddy's got you." I cooed at her to ease her whining. My wobbly feet hit the last step that reached Dave's door, and with shaky hands, I knocked twice. I expected Dave to open the door, but when a girl with hazel eyes and brunette hair half my size answered, I was taken aback. "Oh hey, You must be Kurt! I've heard a lot about you," she smiled then fixed her gaze on Frances," And this must be the sweet little angel I've heard loads about. Here, let me take her for you." Frances was lifted out of my arms and taken by the brunette girl.

"Dude, I knew you'd have someone over... But a girl? Don't you think that's a bit too much?" I asked Dave as I took a seat next to him on the worn leather couch in his living room. He scoffed, " What? So, since you lost your wife, which by the way, the wife you were planning on divorcing... I can't experiment with girls myself?" " Dave, that's not what I'm saying. We should be focusing on our music, not girls." Dave just rolled his eyes and headed to his drum set and Krist headed to his bass. I followed closely behind and stopped at my mic and guitar.

When we finished working on and singing new songs, the girl who greeted me came in with drinks in one hand, and Frances in the other. Frances cooed at the sight of me and it was the cutest thing ever. Dave walked up to the brunette girl, took the drinks and left her with Frances. "You wanna take her?" the brunette girl asked me softly. I shook my head no and headed over to Dave and Krist. " You want some?" Dave held out the bottle of Vodka, half drunk, Krist already drunk off his ass rubbing all over Dave. A chuckle made its way out of my mouth as I replied," Nah, I'm alright. I'm gonna go hang with Frances and your girl." Dave nodded, and as I made my way into Dave's room I heard him yell," Don't fuck her, she's mine!" this made me laugh.

Dave's room was dim and quiet except for the angelic voice coming from the corner of the room humming Hey Jude. "So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin you're waiting for someone to perform with and don't you know that it's just you, hey Ju-" the girl turned around on the chair, I assumed she was made aware of my presence. I took a seat near her on the bed, in front of the chair she was on," You sound amazing." I smiled. She did one of those nose laugh things, tucked hair behind her ear, took a look at asleep Frances on her lap then at me," You think so?" I nodded in agreement," Indeed I do." she smiled at this," I didn't quite catch your name... Very rude of me not to ask, I'm sorry." I chuckled. She set Frances in the crib Dave had bought upon our arrival for Frances. The brunette girl took a seat next to me on the bed. Damn... I have to admit, she had beautiful eyes. I got so lost in them, I missed her tell me her name," I- I uh, sorry... I got distracted. What did you say your name was again?" She adjusted her position on the bed to face me as she spoke," The name's Holly. Holly Whitfield." her eyes lit up as she told me her name again," Well... that's a beautiful name." Rubbing the back of my neck out of awkwardness, she placed her head on my shoulder. Would Dave be upset if he saw this? "Are they drunk?" Holly asked quietly, with vulnerability in her voice. Nodding my head, she lifted hers off of my shoulder," He always is... I can't stand it. Ever since your wife passed and he had to move down here, he's been drinking off and on for weeks. Sometimes he'll threaten to sleep with other girls and claim he has a whole row of em' just waiting to get their hands on him. Or he'll throw things at me, of course, nothing crazy dangerous because I know he would never actually hurt me, but it scares me. And some nights when he's drunk, he'll accuse me of cheating and tell me how he was going to sleep with some girl he met. " tears began to fall from her eyes faster than I've ever seen anyone cry. She must've been holding it all in for a while. I sat up and looked her in the eyes," Hey, listen. Everything's going to be okay. Dave loves you, and he would never do anything to intentionally hurt you. That's just him drunk." she smiled at what I said and her eyes transfixed on mine. " Do you think he'd mind this?" She threw her lips onto mine, and since I was in the heat of the moment I kissed back, with much more passion and force. I softly threw her on the bed as I threw off my shirt and she did the same. Crawling over her, we kissed again, and again. Before I knew it, our clothes were sprawled all over the room and we became one.

She laid her head on my chest, I could feel her heart beating at a rapid pace as I traced an eight along her back. Holly looked up at me and kissed my lips one more time before she dozed off. Careful not to wake her, I got up and put my clothes back on, putting hers in the dirty clothes pile so it looked like we hadn't fooled around. I walked over to Frances asleep in her crib and placed a kiss on her forehead. Climbing back into the bed fully clothed I got under the blankets careful not to wake Holly, she was sound asleep at this point. I could tell because she was snoring. But what about her and Dave.. Holy shit.