CHAPTER 3

It was basically holiday for me, being ordered to Italy for a quick run through the remaining shambles of the government. The country itself had all been abandoned, or else the citizens had gone underground to hide from the Con Rồng. I liked Italy, even without all the tourist spots open, I was still able to climb the tower of Pisa to watch the sunset, I was still able to meet Tobias there to spend a few weeks with him.

I never wanted to leave the five-star hotel we'd commandeered, figuring we could just hold up and live off the large store of food, Bay would never find me, but realistically that was kind if ignorant to think. Bay would find me no matter what, I couldn't just leave, so when the time came where I had to leave again, I didn't try to stop it.

The helicopter was just on the outskirts of the city, Tobias walked with me, his hand grasping mine and a grim expression on his face. I avoided looking at him, because if he saw the pain in my eyes he may try to do something stupid. Instead I forced a smile onto my face and turned to him, relaxing when he cupped his hands around my face and leaned closer to kiss me.

"Be safe," he whispered against my lips, and my fingers clung to his shirt as I let my eyes reopen to meet his hazel gaze, nodding my head.

"I'll do my best, and I'll contact you as soon as I can."

Usually someone would be waiting there for me, Vinet or Bay, but besides the pilot, it was empty, so instantly I knew something had happened. Most of the trip back I was messing with the black gloves on my hand that carefully hid the engagement ring on my left finger. If Bay saw it he was going to be suspicious, but I didn't want to take it off either, so I wore the gloves, hoping I wouldn't be questioned when we reached base.

The helicopter touched down around eight the next night, and I slung my bag over my shoulder before thanking the pilot and hopping out, making my way into the building and to my room, where I left my bag before going to meet Bay in the meeting room.

He was sitting alone at the head of the table, his feet propped up and his arms behind his head as he leaned his chair onto the back legs, looking relaxed and, honestly, a little too pleased with himself. When he saw me, he let the chair fall back onto all fours and stood up, grinning in excitement.

"Carter, finally!" he hurried around the table and pulled me into a hug, lifting me off the ground and squeezing me. My arms were pinned to my sides from the embrace, and he was holding me a bit too tight, but I didn't complain, just awkwardly touched his side, and nodded.

"I'm back. Italy is a wasteland," he set me down on my feet, hands on my shoulders as I straightened my shirt and continued, "Either the people evacuated the country entirely, or there was a genocide and they were killed, but I couldn't find any trace of government, military, or life at all. You know, besides trees and grass growing over cars and up blown out buildings."

That was a lie, flat out, but Bay seemed incredibly pleased, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and starting for the door, "Well done, as usual. I swear you're the only one I can trust here," he sighed and shook his head, then shrugged, "Not surprised, all these people are basically mercenaries, all of them are liars and cheats, but not you," he leaned forward and smiled back at me, "You're the only one I trust, Carter. Thank you for staying beside me."

His words were like a bullet through my chest, all I could see was my dead father, but I forced a smile onto my lips and nodded, "Thank you for... protecting me."

Bay seemed even more pleased at my words, holding me closer, "I promised I would, remember?"

"You've kept that promise," I assured honestly, because faults set aside, Bay has never once hurt me, and he's never once consciously allowed me to get hurt. The few times I was harmed, by someone or something, the cause was basically eradicated entirely.