two

not alfie.

not now.

why now?

"you sick, worthless fuck." alfie shouted. 

dan was used to this. he had felt it all. alfie pinned him against the lockers by his throat, feet off the ground. he didn't bother struggling, alfie would let go or he would pass out. whichever came first.

"you'll never love anyone. nobody will ever love you. heartless freak. everyone hates you. everyone.

those words float around the boy as if they're leaves on a crisp autumn morning, falling from discolored trees. he acts as if the terms are ineffective, but they hurt almost as much as the punches alfie is throwing at his ribs.

"faggot," are the final words dan hears as he drops to the cold, hard ground. he's curled in a ball, crying. choking on his tears, he pulls himself into an upright position and wipes the tears off his cheeks. out of the corner of his eye, he sees phil walking down the hallway with a bathroom pass. just a few seconds later, dan feels arms around his body.

"w-what happened?! are you okay?!?!" phil exclaimed

"kinda.. no. not at all." dan said, truthfully.

"please tell me what's going on..."

dan was in the middle of his story when phil began clutching his chest and making these weird faces.

"are you okay? do you need me to call the paramedics or something?!" dan asked, with great concern in his voice.

before phil could answer, he sprinted down the hall until he was out of sight. once he made it to the restroom, he looked at himself in the mirror. his heart was hovering above his hand, and he cursed at it.

"you're not gay.. you're not fucking gay. you're straight."

***

dan walked over to a table in the very back of the cafeteria where his friend, chris was sitting. he pulled a ham and cheese sandwich out of his lunchbox, and started a conversation with him.

"hey christopherrr," dan smirked.

"don't call me that," chris said, pouting.

"finee, i won't."

chris had already known about dan's issue, and he accepted dan for his difference. he was the only person that had taken him for who he was.

"a little birdie told me that you like phil lester." 

"what?!"

"well, at least he likes you.."

"how?! how could he possibly like me? daniel howell!!"

"did you not see him holding his chest behind the tree? he was trying to keep his heart within himself after talking to you!"

"well how was i supposed to know that.. they don't let me take heart studies."

"do you like him?"

there was a long, dreadful pause.

"i think i do."

A/N: sorry this chapter is so short, i really thought this would be a good place to stop. the next chapter maybe be a little juicy.. ;)