Chapter 2

Oliver's POV

I bit my lip, checking the papers in my hand again and again. Unfortunately, their contents never changed. How am I supposed to pay rent now? The rent isn't supposed to be this high! Okay, sure, I didn't pay it last time, but that's because I didn't have enough. Like I didn't have enough the time before that, or the time before that, or the time before that...

Groaning, I shoved the papers back into my bag and entered the small bistro. Kevin, the manager of the bistro, smiled at me as I walked in. "Oliver! Ready for your shift?"

"Ready to die." I mumbled, pushing into the back room as Kevin's chuckled echoed behind me.

Changing quickly, I pasted a smile on my face and entered the dining area. My shift starts around twelve, right as the lunch rush starts, and ends at nine. I'd gotten this job straight out of highschool, in order to support my siblings.

Just as I approached a table, one of the girls seated there sqeauled. I mentally cringed, the high pitch sound making my ears bleed. "Look!!" She squealed. "It's Derrick O'Neil!!"

The other girls at the table squealed and followed her gaze to the TV. I groaned. It wasn't even the guy in flesh and I still hated the sight of him. He's so immoral, immature, and not even a good actor. "I'd let him have his way with me." A girl sighed, watching as he hung his arms off two prostitutes.

Honestly, what do girls see in him? Watching him carefully, I inspected his fancy clothes and shiny car before answering. His money. If nothing else, it's his money. What I would do to have even just a little of his-

No.

I shook my head. He slept his way to the top. There's nothing good about him. Not even his money. Turning from the table, I went to another one, serving them instead. Even if I have to work the rest of my life, I'd rather do that than sell myself for prostitution.

---

I hummed softly, cleaning the tables after the lunch rush had calmed. Kevin watched me carefully, smiling softly. "Nice tune you got there," he grinned, his southern accent thick. "What's it from?"

I turned to him, waving my arms dramatically. "It's a musical number from my favorite album; none of your business. By my favorite band; go bother someone else."

Kevin laughed, already immune to my sarcasm. Even though he's the manager, he doesn't really look the part. His 'uniform' is just a plain white collared shirt, black slacks, and beat up black rubber-toed sneakers. His blonde hair is always a mess, and his brown eyes were full of amusement.

I kept a scowl on my face until he looked away, before I smiled and went back to my cleaning. "If I had your comedic abilities," Kevin sighed. "I'd make it big in Hollywood."

I snorted. "You'd be cheated and lied to. Why would you ever want to go there?"

He shrugged. "Better than here, ain't it? Big lights, big fame, big money..."

"Big liars, big cheats, big rumors..." I continued.

Waving me off, Kevin turned to a customer sitting at the bar.

By the time I'd finished cleaning, my lunch break had rolled around. My stomach growled as I continued to work. "Aren't ya gonna eat?" Kevin asked.

I shook my head. "Saving up."

This time, Kevin snorted. "For what? A five course meal?"

"For rent." I said seriously.

Kevin fell silent, a pitying look on his face. "... Sorry."

I shrugged. "I'm used to it. My father died when I was ten, leaving me, my mother, and my four siblings to fend for ourselves. My mother had always been weak, and passed when I was sixteen. Straight after highschool I began to work, in order to support my siblings. I send money to them, and use the rest for rent."

"How old are your siblings?" Kevin asked shyly.

"Sylvia is eleven, she's just finishing elementary, The twins, Landon and Logan, are thirteen, in their first year of middle, and Mathew is sixteen, starting his second year of high school." I spoke fondly, thinking of my siblings. They're everything to me.

---

After my shift ended, I walked aimlessly down the street, listening to the joyous laughter of all the adults getting drunk in the local bars. Sighing, I walked past the stores, ignoring the delicious smell of the bar food.

Arriving at the local park, I sat down at the fountain, closing my eyes and enjoying the peaceful evening. It wasn't a well known place, so not many people that weren't locals came here. That always meant that my special seat was open when I needed it.

My eyes shot open when I heard soft muttering, my body stiffening as a very angry looking woman came over, scowling and muttering to herself. Her dark hair was up in a messy bun, and her green eyes had dark bags underneath them. Her clothes - a white button up shirt, gray suit jacket, black knee-length skirt, and black highheels - looked expensive.

She stopped when she got to the fountain, blinking. "I didn't know this was here." She turned, noticing me. "Excuse me, is this new?"

I looked at her. Must be a drunk. Leaning back, I put my arms behind my head. "Yep," I said, popping the 'p.' "Been here since yesterday."

"Really?"

"Yeah," I said dryly. "Yesterday twenty years ago."

Her lips pursed, and she sighed. "Well, it's new to me."

"And that's what matters." I mocked.

The woman scowled, putting her hands on her hips. "Are you always like this?"

"Handsome? Charasmatic? Hilariously funny?"

Eyeing me, the woman's eyes seemed to sparkle. "Do you work around here?"

"Sure, I watch over drunks like you and make sure they don't pretend to be ducks and drown in the fountain." I may have been going off just a little, but it was rare for someone I didn't know to come around. Which meant it was rare for someone to be vulnerable to my sarcasm. Plus, I needed a little cheering up after having to worry about bills and rent all day.

The woman scoffed. "I am not drunk!!"

"Well, you look the part and you act it, too."

She turned away, mumbling to herself once more. I closed my eyes, sighing. "Excuse me," she asked again.

Groaning, I looked up. "For the last time, Lady, the fountain isn't new!"

She shook her head. "No, not that. Now, I'd like a serious answer to my question. Do you have a job?"

"If it bothers you that much, yes. I do have a job."

"Where?"

I moved my head, gesturing towards the right. "Down the street, the local bistro. If you get lost, just ask for Kevin's bistro."

She nodded, writing down my words with a pad and paper she pulled out of thin air. After, she pulled out a small piece of paper, handing it to me. "Here, my business card. Call me sometime if you're interested in making more money. If not, just know I will be stopping by."

I took the card, watching her leave before glancing down at the card. "Lucy Jennings, star manager..." I groaned. Great, a babysitter for rich brats. Making sure Lucy was gone, I stood up to leave myself. Just as I left, I tossed the card into the fountain, watching it dissolve and float away.