Chapter 15

"I forgot how much I hate flying, let alone the length of this damn flight," I muttered. At the moment, I was trying to find a comfortable position to try and sleep on the plane. It's not going to happen at all.

"Well, I'm always on planes. I am used to it," Freddie looked at me and laughed a bit. He's amused at what's going on with me; fidgeting back and forth in my seat. I would lean my seat back but whoever behind me is sitting there won't be so satisfied with his or hers flight all of the way to California.

I give up. I leaned back on the seat and took a deep breath, closing my eyes and hoped that I fell asleep right at that moment.

"You're already going to fall asleep? Sage, we haven't even taken off yet," Freddie poked me in the cheek, causing me to flinch and slap his hand away. In a gentle way.

"Unless you want me to be grumpy when we arrive," I muttered, not opening up my eyes. "Just let me be, Freddie."

The both of us never said a word to each other after that. And I was close to falling asleep before the plane finally took off. It's going to be awhile before I can again.

My eyes slowly started to open up and I took a quick peek out the window. It was dark outside, nighttime as Freddie could only manage to get a flight time late at night. This means our arrival won't be until early in the morning the next day.

The lights below us of Toronto were shining bright. It's going to be quite some time before I get to see this city once again. Who knows when the next time I will come back. Soon...or never.

"You're quiet. Asleep yet?" I looked over at Freddie through the dark, barely making out his facial features. I shrugged. "Can't sleep at the moment."

"Same with me," he said quietly. "I just have a lot on my mind, nothing really big."

I turned my body to the side where I was facing Freddie a lot better than before. He was staring on ahead of himself, for sure thinking about something. "What is it?" I'm pretty sure I know what it's all about but I just want to make sure.

"It's you. I'm just worried for you, that's all. It's hard not to think that you're going to be in harms way at any given point in time. What if I'm not there to protect you if something happens?" Freddie said, barely above a whisper but loud enough for me and only me.

"Don't think about that no more. It's put behind us, I'm safe. And that's going to stay like that for a long time. I don't know how in the world my father will find me out here this time, no way," I said and grabbed a hold of his hand, squeezing it tightly just to reassure Freddie that everything will be fine. "Look, it's just the both of us. You and I, Freddie. Nothing will come between us."

I rested my forehead against his and place a soft kiss upon his lips and then pulled away. A small smile went across Freddie's face and that caused a chain reaction of me to smile along with him. "If only you say so, Sage," he said.

"Shut up, don't be ridiculous," I joked, punching him in the arm.

Just only hours away from starting my life over once again. Completely new state and everything. It's a little scary to think that I'm going to be close to Arizona, but there's really nothing to worry about now. I have that feeling that nothing will happen for a long time. And I truly mean it.

About forty five minutes into the flight, Freddie and I haven't said a single word to each other. I was too busy listening to music and watching the sight outside the window, not paying attention to what's going on around me. My head turned slightly to the left to look at Freddie out of the corner of my eye. He was definitely fast asleep. A small smile crept on my face.