Chapter 12

The Wrong Life to Encounter With: Chapter 12

"Sage?"

I never realized that I completely dazed off to a whole new universe until Lynn spoke out. I watched a little bit more of the landscape outside change before looking over at her. She had her full attention focused on the road ahead of her.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Oh, I was just making sure you didn't fall asleep. I thought you did because you're quiet," she said, slipping a quick glance over at me before looking back at the road.

Lately, I've been able to keep things off my mind that have been getting under my skin. Like what happened recently. I haven't been having my emotional spike or anything like that, thank goodness. I think I've freaked this family out more than ever and I felt bad.

And sleep sounded good at the moment. But we are almost back home. I guess it could wait for about ten minutes.

Lynn took me out to lunch earlier, just the two of us. Dougie and Freddie tried to tag along but their mother shooed them off. I don't know what went through their head on wanting to come along to lunch. But I knew Freddie wanted to go because of me.

When Lynn finally pulled into the driveway, I took notice that the garage door was open. And inside, there was of course Dougie and Freddie. It looked like they were playing hockey with a tennis ball instead of a puck. I guess there are other ways you can play when there's no ice at the moment.

Both of them had big smiles on their faces, fighting for the "puck" from each other. Like what actual brothers do when they were younger, not as adults.

I hopped out of the truck immediately. "What are you dorks doing? You started a game without me? Thanks, I feel the love. A lot." My eyes glanced over at Freddie and he grew wide-eyed and held his hands up in defense, causing me to laugh a little.

"Says the one who probably can barely even handle a hockey stick," Dougie said.

I held my hand out. "Gimme a try, you tree." Dougie is seriously tall, so why not call him a tree to make the situation a little bit funnier? Or is that too much? I don't even think he minded that I called him that, or he just ignored me.

Dougie gingerly handed me his hockey stick that was way too big for me. Maybe I shouldn't. It's already too late, I got myself into the mess and there's no backing out.

"Show us that you can score a goal," Dougie commanded me like he was a coach. I looked on over at the net that was a little worn out and beat up after years of use in the past. Freddie was standing off to the side of it about maybe ten feet or so. I gulped, beads of sweat started to form on my forehead from the nerves and the eyes glaring at me from both of the brothers.

I guess it's time to either embarrass myself or make Dougie and Freddie's jaw drop. They know I played basketball all of my life. Do they really want to laugh at me because I can't play hockey at all or what? I'm curious because I don't know what the answer is.

Shoot it in the right way possible. I had to think back all of those months where Taylor made me watch hockey games with her on TV. The slap shot. I've seen that a lot in the games I watched before. Can I even attempted a slap shot without breaking this stick? Probably not but I'm going to try.

"Maybe I should-" Freddie started to speak when I raised the stick, attempting something I will never do again in my life. He didn't even finish his sentence when the tennis ball came flying off the ground. Right in his direction. My shot was ten feet wide from the net and I had to hit Freddie.

"Oh my god, are you okay?!" The sight of watching Freddie take a shot towards the head was not pretty. That ball barely had any force behind it to be a hurtful hit against a human being, especially Freddie. But it got him square in the head and he fell to the ground like a fly instantly.