Chapter 8

"No matter how hard you even try, you are not going to get me on the ice," I complained, wrapping my arms around my chest and literally pouting like a little six year old. "I refuse. Refuse, Freddie."

He kept his promise to bring me to the arena where him and Dougie played junior hockey before playing in the NHL; the Jack Gatecliff Arena. It took both of them to drag me out of the house. Not once in my life have I ever ice skated and I was planning on keeping it that way. I really hate to make a fool of myself in front of people, and it's a completely different story when I'm alone...

From the home team's bench, I sat there, resting my arms on the ledge along with my head on top of my hands and watched Freddie and Dougie take laps around. They made it look so easy. This gives me the thought that I will have no problem, but the second thoughts come in and I still refuse to do it. My skates are on and everything since Freddie had to force me to put them on.

Freddie skated to a complete stop where I was sitting and then patted my head. "You can't let your fears lead you on forever, Sage," he says, smirking a little. "Sooner or later, you have to overcome them."

"Over my damn dead body," I muttered. I knew he wasn't going to let go on this any longer. I'm pretty sure I'm winning this argument. So far. Who knows what Freddie has tucked up his sleeve. I want to know, but at the same time, I don't.

"Come on," Freddie climbed over the wall in between us with no troubles and grabbed a hold of my hand and intertwined our fingers with each other. "I'll be by your side and I promise you that I won't let you fall."

I grumbled some more and sulked my shoulders as I got up on my feet, losing my balance for a brief second before standing up tall in these horrible skates. The nerves started to stack upon each other once I was on my feet. My reaction was to sit down quickly because of how scared I was at the moment. I had to fight my mind to stay where I was.

Freddie looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile. He really knew how nervous I was, only because my hand started to hurt from squeezing his. And he had to be feeling the pain from me. "Sorry about that." My cheeks grew hot and I let go of his hand.

"I'm going to keep telling you over and over, everything will be completely fine, Sage."

After this experience, I don't think in am ever going to try to attempt skating again on ice. I already knew that the first time, right now, is going to be terrible and embarrassing all at once. I wished I stayed back home and underneath the covers of my bed to catch some Z's.

I managed to get out on the ice, losing my balance a few times but not falling down. Yet. And that was it for me. "Yeah, I'm done here. Bye!"

"Nice try." Freddie grabbed a hold of my arm, stopping me from getting off the ice. Now he had a hold on both of my forearms and started to pull me slowly around the rink. What a show off, skating backwards. I tried to pull back and away from him, but he still had the power over me on the ice. "See? It's not that bad."

"Yeah, it's not bad because you're literally moving me around and I'm not even trying for worth a damn," I spat and shook Freddie off of me. "Now you cannot force me to skate no more. We are done." Of course I didn't think this through well enough. Where Freddie and I stood, we were quite a ways away from the bench. This means I have to skate on my own. He knew I was going to give up at some point. Clever little boy. Putting me far away from the bench? Now that's kind of harsh.

"Go ahead, give it a try," Freddie called out from behind me.

I turned my head around and saw he had a little smirk on his face. I shot him a dirty look and turned my attention back in the direction of the benches. Dougie was sitting down, watching the two of us. He had to be amused on what his brother is doing to me.