f i v e

c h a p t e r   f i v e

The party was definitely busted, if the officers who'd arrived just a few minutes ago along with campus security were anything to go by.

I wasn't the least bit sorry.

The wait was long enough without all the worst possible thoughts plaguing my mind, but I couldn't have been more grateful when Jinae walked out of that door with the man in black I didn't know the name of behind her.

"Are you okay?" Were the first words out of my mouth as I rushed to her.

She just smiled lightly in answer. "Yeah. I just... think I feel a little sick, though."

"Let's get you back to the dorm," I linked my arm with hers, feeling so glad that she was here and okay instead of in a situation where everything went wrong. "And possibly the campus medical center, if you feel like you need it."

"If you don't mind," the man from before spoke up from behind me. "May I have a look?"

Jinae looked a little surprised to see him—I didn't blame her, I had been surprised too and he hadn't really been too subtle with his lab coat and everything either. "Uh, okay. Sure."

I watched as they sat down at one of the few steps in front and he tended to her. Feeling exhausted for some reason, I heaved a sigh of relief before running a hand through my hair.

It had felt like one of the longest evenings I'd ever had.

"Is she alright?" I turned behind me to look at General Min as his eyes were on his friend on the steps. I vaguely noticed his other friend, the guy in black, talking to an officer somewhere at the front door of the house.

I nodded wordlessly as I followed his gaze, still reeling from everything.

"Are you alright?"

I blinked to myself before turning back to him. "Me? Of course. It was just... I was worried."

He simply nodded in response, like it was a given.

"Thank you, though."

"It wasn't an issue," he answered automatically and I shook my head at him.

"This isn't something like taking me home or whatever, it's bigger than that. I'm sure you didn't have to do this, so while you're being gracious about that I still want you to know that I was here freaking out and I definitely appreciate what you did. So thank you."

He gauged me for a moment. I could tell he was good at that, analyzing people and maybe forming theories of what that person was about, no doubt even taking a guess at what made them click. It was that specific set narrow in his eyes that told tales: tales of a time I didn't know and tales of a time he'd obviously experienced a lot. So it was my guess; my sort of stab in the dark that he was definitely no stranger to discerning people simply through observation.

I wondered what he saw in me right now.

Just a moment later he nodded again.

I felt the side of my mouth kick up slightly as I went back to watching the steps, just in time to see the doctor get up from his sitting position.

"She's resting," he informed me and I took a moment to glance back at my best friend sitting at the steps with her head in her hands. "Whatever she drank wasn't all that great, but she seems to be doing alright for now. However, I still recommend she get some sleep. If anything's wrong, please don't hesitate to call." He took his hand out of his pocket, offering me his card with an amiable smile on his face.

"Thank you so much," a glance at the card told me what to call him, "Doctor Kim. We'll be getting to the dorm now."

His eyebrows knit in confusion at that. "I could've sworn Jungkook told us you lived not far off campus. Are you completely sure you want to stay here? We could take you home." 

I was beginning to learn that this man was indefinitely kind.

"No, thank you. As much I'd love to go home, I think this would be the better option," I answered him with a faint smile.

Doctor Kim nodded. "Of course."

"Are we done here?" The third guy from their group strolled over. "Everything's good now, right?"

"Just about," confirmed General Min.

"I didn't thank you yet," I began, eyes on the newcomer to the conversation.

He shook his head. "No need. Trust me, you did me a favor. Nothing like putting the assholes that were inside in their places to feel great."

General Min scoffed. "That's a low bar you've set to feel great there."

"Hey. You liked it too, I know you." He shot back before turning back to me and cracked a grin, flashing a set of dimples as he did so. "And it reminded me of the time we used to party. Man, we always went hard. Now that time, that was honestly the best."

"Alright, alright, Namjoon," General Min cut in. "It's time for her to go back to the dorm with her friend and for us to leave and get back to the station."

The man named Namjoon sighed. "Right. Another night of working till the morning hours. Awesome. Can't wait."

"Okay," Doctor Kim smiled at me one last time as he bid me goodbye. "This is where we leave."

"See ya," Namjoon grinned again and followed the doctor who cast a careful probing glance over Jinae as he made his exit.

I cocked my head at the remaining person, taking him in as his gaze seemed to be fixed in the horizon. I cleared my throat as a prompt and he jerked suddenly, almost as if having been jolted out of his thoughts. With a quick nod at me, he was gone too.

I smiled to myself then, knowing that it hadn't been their job to help me and absolutely loving that there was still kindness in the world.

And then I went back to my best friend, refusing to think anything about Cal and whatever might've happened to him.

I changed her best friend's name to Jinae. Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment! :)

-lexy