n i n e

c h a p t e r   n i n e

I grabbed the ringing phone from my nightstand and blearily eyed the screen.

Officer Jeon calling.

It was a ridiculous six in the morning on a Saturday and far too early on a weekend, in my opinion. But then again if he was calling, it had to be something important.

Unwelcome thoughts of Cal flooded my mind immediately and I had to wonder—where was he? Was he okay? Was he at the station again, this early in the morning? I hadn't bothered calling him after that disaster of a party last time and if I was honest, I don't think I wanted to either.

But I was still surprised to not have heard from him in a long while.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Morning, Faith." He greeted, succinct as ever. "Do you have time to swing by the station later on? I need to ask you something."

"Sure." I said, pausing for a moment before going on truthfully, "But that's way later when I can drag myself out of bed."

I heard him snort. "Alright, you do that. I'll be here all day." I didn't doubt it.

"Got it."

He hung up then and for a short second I wondered what he could possibly want to talk about. I didn't think it was about Cal or otherwise he would've said so right off. Eagerly closing my eyes, I decided it was okay not to dwell on that for a moment while I got some sleep.

Not that I would ever have been able to figure it out, but it was still way to early to be thinking anyway.

I made my way into the station, spotting Officer Jeon behind his desk and headed straight his way. I always knew he got right down to business but his welcome was a little different, even for the usual.

"You still looking for a housemate?"

I blinked at him, startled at the question. "Uh, yeah. I am."

I mentioned this to him sometime in passing long before and I was surprised he actually remembered. Currently in between a few exams, I had given up the search for the time being. Of course, it would have been easier if I could've just had my best friends live with me, but Jinae already had an apartment on the other side of town that she didn't really use and whenever he was around, Ben too preferred the easy access of a dorm room rather than a house off campus—even if the latter was the distinctively better option. Not that I was biased or anything, of course. It was just a fact.

"I may have an offer for you," he began carefully. "And I hope you would really consider it because you'd be doing me a huge favor."

"Wait," I interrupted him. "What are you saying?" Was I getting a new housemate?

I'd say yes. Immediately. Because really, that was exactly what I needed. Even though the bills were the exact reason I'd saved up by working hard at two part-time jobs the last couple of years (while still doing my best to get good grades), it would be a relief to share costs with someone else—mainly because I didn't have any part-time job now and would be starting work after graduation, which was still months away.

I had to hand it to him, after that he finally gave it to me straight. "Let General Min move in."

Whoa. General Min?

Let him move in? And what, have him parade around in his uniform, making me all sorts of uncomfortable twenty-four seven? Maybe I wasn't going to say yes immediately after all. There was a lot to think about here.

Officer Jeon wanted me to take in the guy that I went out for coffee with once.

Granted, he couldn't have known that we'd had coffee together at all but was he out of his mind?

Then again, what I had to consider first and foremost was the fact that this was Officer Jeon asking me for a favor. And that kind of sucked.

Because I couldn't turn it down even if I wanted to.

Which, if I'm honest, I kind of did. I definitely kind of did. I was all for being around Min Yoongi, but living with him? That required me to rein in my idiocy and be far more alert around him and I wasn't sure I was real big on that. I guess it depended on how badly I needed a housemate.

I sighed.

Knowing he'd won, Officer Jeon cracked a small smile. "Thank you, Faith."

I managed a smile while I thought of all the possible ways this arrangement would not be good for me.

But on the brighter side... I'd get a housemate out of this, wouldn't I?

A hot one.

Again, I didn't know if that was good or bad.

"And I mean it, thanks again." I didn't miss the sincerity in his words as he continued. "The place he's staying at right now is on the other side of town and he's been meaning to get one a little less far away. I know you said you were in need of a housemate too and thought this could be a win-win situation. It'll be a great help, him being only five minutes away from here."

I tried to focus on what he was saying, I really did. It felt good to know that it would help the case they were working where they were trying to get the guy who cornered their friend. It offered some kind of assistance, which in itself was pretty cool.

But then again, it didn't change the fact that Liquid Gold would be in my house for the unforeseeable future.

Oh man.

Chapter nine is up! Here's where the plot really starts taking shape and I hope you like how it goes

(And I can't be thankful enough to both beautlies and hepburnettes for promoting this story on their profiles even though it had very little reads. I'm so grateful) 

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)