15

LEFT BEHIND LIFE

Waiting outside of the O

Waiting outside of the O.R. Derek gave an odd look to Augustus as he exited first, holding the door open as Meredith walked passed him and to her child.

Her day was over and she was ready to go home.

"How is my favorite boy doing?" She cooed to the now very awake boy who would eventually fall back asleep in the car.

"I thought I was your favorite?" Derek pouted, sticking out his bottom lip causing them to both snort.

Meredith solely shook her head.

"I am ready to go, I'm so tired." She complained, her eyes already telling him that she was extremely tired.

"I'll drive, I already got the car seat in." Derek folded his arms and gave a relaxing breath out.

"Please. How did you find a car seat?" She questioned immediately, he wouldn't have had time to go buy one, and if he did, he would've had to get someone to watch Bailey.

"I took yours of course." He replied.

"Let's go," she ignored his statement, relieving it from their conversation.

"Let's." He confirmed, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek out of old habits.

His blue eyes widened immensely.

What if that wasn't okay?
Why did I do that?
God, she's just so beautiful-
Can I even think that, I'm still married.

"I-I I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine." She replied with the slightest blush on her cheeks.

"O-Okay, to the car."

-

As they got back to Meredith's she'd walked in, slipped her shoes off and put Bailey to sleep and hopped into her bed as Derek watched.

Maybe it was because she was half asleep, or maybe it was because she still loved him. She didn't know, all she did was that she wanted to cuddle with him.

Meredith patted the bed next to her, laughing slightly with her eyes shut closed as Derek fumbled to get his shirt off and climb in next to her. His head laying next to hers, the scent of the brisk trees and fresh ponds filling her nostrils. A smell she missed so bad, one that felt like home.

Without another word he pressed his stomach against her back, holding her hand with her permission and nuzzling into the crook of her neck, the sound of her breathing being the one thing he was focused on. He felt at home again.

Before he fell into a deep sleep, he heard the faintest,

"I missed you." From her.

He shut his eyes painfully, but also happily, glad that she still had feelings for him, ones that he felt too, but was too afraid to speak them.

"I missed you too." He whispered into her ear before falling into the best sleep he'd had in a year.