introduction

LEFT BEHIND LIFE

"When you told me to pick you over her, I couldn't, and I'm sorry." Derek let out a sigh.

"Is that all you have left to say? That's all I get, I love you!" Meredith screamed her dying love for him.

"I can't just throw away years of marriage for, for this! She is my wife, I'm just not willing to sacrifice something that might be salvageable. I don't expect you to understand anything that had to do with responsibility," Derek's words struck her with harsh reality.

"So what we had. Was any of it real?" Meredith was on the verge of tears, maybe all of it was a lie.

Derek turned to her, his eyes tearing up just like her perfect ones. His chest hurt, but he couldn't live with himself if he didn't try to work things out with Addison. He kept questioning himself if he was making the right decision. The truth was, he felt like he wasn't.

His hand cupped her cheek, wiping off a tear that escaped. Trapping the intimacy they shared into one touch, a final touch.

He lowered his head so his mouth was directly next to her ear,

"It was all real, every last bit of it. Goodbye Meredith."

The last thing he whispered before he left her, standing alone in the parking lot. She shivered from the weather, but mostly was shaking because of what had just happened.

Everything crashed and burned, just like it always had.