one

"i am an outcast!" daniel screamed at this wall.

all his life, he was labeled as a fuck-up. why? he never had a heart. 

everyone in the universe is supposed to have a heart companion. when you're in love, this heart will jump out and cling onto that someone you love. whether it's someone a bit attractive or someone you've been crushing on for years, you can't hide it. dan however, had fallen in love with his best friend, pj. but of course, pj didn't believe dan when he asked him out. because no heart tackled pj whenever he was around. they were all different shapes and sizes, colors and expressions. dan always wondered what his would look like. but he knew he'd never see it.

dan sat in his room and wondered why he didn't have a heart companion in his spare time. 

"maybe i never was truly in love.. maybe my heart can't come out. or maybe i really am just a mistake."

he was up all night thinking about it, he didn't know why his heart was non-existent. looking over at his clock, the numbers 7:49 flashed on the screen. he sprinted over to his closet and threw on a black sweater with white cats all over it, and slipped into a pair of black skinny jeans. he quickly straighten out the curls on his head, grabbed a cold waffle from the table, and called out a "goodbye!" to his mother in the other room.

7:54

6 minutes until the school bell rang. considering he was 5 minutes away at normal speed, he pulled out his earbuds and scrolled through a playlist of songs. 

The Light Behind Your Eyes - My Chemical Romance - 5:13

he began singing the lyrics softly to himself.

"so long to all my friends. everyone of them met tragic ends. with every passing day i'd be lying if i didn't say that i miss them all tonight. and if they only knew what i would say if i could be with you tonight. i would sing you to sleep, never let them take the light behind your eyes.."

his song was interrupted after he crashed into a boy at the school's lot. he prayed it wasn't alfie. anyone but alfie. and to dan's surprise, it wasn't. a boy he'd never seen before turned around.

"i'm so sorry!!" the boy exclaimed.

dan barely heard him as he was soaking up his features. his jet black hair fell perfectly to the left side of his face, his eyes like the sky. a blue dan could swim. 

he snapped back into reality when he felt a poke on his shoulder.

"a-are you alright?" the raven-haired boy peeped.

"y-yeah, yeah! i'm fine, i'm fine.." he mumbled

"what's your name..?"

"daniel."

"hi daniel."

"call me dan."

"okay dan."

"and what do you go by?"

"phil."

as soon as phil spoke his name, he dashed off into the crowd of people. sinking down the back of a tree, he held his chest. "you're straight!!" he whispered to himself. 

dan would've chased after him, but he knew he ran away because dan is a "threat to society." phil had to have known that he was heartless. everybody knew. he was just giving the chocolate-haired boy sympathy.

the bell rang and he dragged himself inside. dan started to think about his long over friendship with pj. he still missed him. but peej made new friends. the one person who cared for dan departed from his life. 

at least he had something new to think about. phil. he loved that name. all the kids had cleared out of the hallway and most were in their homerooms by now. dan, pulling at his stuck lock, heard a voice. a familiar voice.

"well, well, well. if it isn't heartless howell!" 

alfie.

A/N: hey everyone!  i decided to start a new story considering my old one kinda backfired. i couldn't really think of a plot for it, and it went sour after the first two chapters. i hope you all understand that it is now deleted. i'm far more interested in writing this story, and i really do hope you'll enjoy this one much more. lowercase intended.