Chapter 19- Maces

Still hugging, I ask Ray a question that you all are probably wondering. "What the heck are you doing here?"

"It's horrible, Caspia," He says, fear igniting his stark blue eyes. "I was doing the interviews for the Capitol, and I took a wrong turn, and now I'm here!"

I laugh. "Well, you've really got yourself into something, huh?"

He smiles, "Yeah..."

We un-hug. "Well, that basically ruins my plans for the day. I was getting ready to go get killed when I saw you."

He looks worried. "Why was you going to be killed?"

"So I could take out the careers. Are you in a fighting mood?" I ask.

"No!" He says, aghast. "I could never kill a person!"

"We're in the Hunger Games, you have to!" I say. "You kill or be killed, that's what!"

"I'd rather be killed than to kill a member of my own species." He says plainly. "By the way, where's your camp? We're going to get killed out here in the open."

"I abandoned my camp when I went to go to the Cornucopia. The remainder of my supplies are on the other side of the arena." I start walking towards the river.

"Where are you going?" Ray asks, running to catch up.

"Well, I figure you're going to be hungry before too long, and probably tired, and we need a camp now. The other side of the river is our best bet," I say, somewhat annoyed at this turn of events. There I was, fifty feet from my destiny, and somehow, Ray is here. Now it's another mouth to feed, and save.

But we've been friends forever, and I can't just let him die.

I get to the river, dive in, and make it to the other side, before you can say "My plans are foiled."

Ray is out and beside me in a heartbeat. "Where to now, hot stuff?"

"Shut up, Ray. I think our best move is to find my supplies from earlier, and climb a tree," I say.

"Sounds good to me," He says. I roll my eyes as we begin to look.

~~~---~~~

We scour the forest up and down, until we find my supplies 10 feet away from where we started looking. Ray gives me an apologetic and sheepish glance, as I pull out the net.

I hook it to my belt, despite the size, and nearly fly up the nearest tree, waiting for Ray.

It takes him 10 minutes to climb up to the level I'm at, which is less than halfway up the tree.

I pull out some of the cooked fish, and hand some to Ray.

"Thanks," He says, gladly chomping a bite into one. He screws up his face. "This could really use seasoning.....or heat.....or anything really. This is horrible."

"Thanks, I cooked them, you know," I laughed.

"Oh, sorry," Ray says. "I thought.... ah..... Cyrus did," He puts emphasis on 'Cyrus,' as if spitting the name instead of saying it.

"Well, listen to you spit that name out," I say, half joking. I turn and fasten myself in as Ray puts something on the fish that he found in the net. It's a bottle of something, I'm really not sure what it is.

"Would you rather me say 'loverboy?'" Ray asks.

"Would you rather me push you out of the tree?" I ask. "Now give me my fish back." I snatch away one of the fish he took and put that stuff on, and take a bite.