Chapter 14- My Name's Cass

Cyrus and I made camp in the shelter of the branches of a pine tree aboout fifty meters from the shore. I pulled the sleeping bag out as the night air warmed us. I tied the sleeping bag to two opposite branches, so it covered up the branches on the side of the tree we were sitting in. We were high up in the air, though I'm not sure how high. I sat up, finishing off one of our last fish. Cyrus sat on the opposite side of me, also finishing off a fish. We were watching the night sky for any tributes coming our way. I figured that the Gamemakers were getting bored of our sitting here, and it was going to get bloody very soon. The Capitol doesn't like watching nothing happen.

"When do you think I'll die? Like, soon or towards the end?" Cyrus asked me.

"Why do you ask?" I asked questioningly.

"Well, I want to know what the odds are. You know, to see if they'll be in my favor." He shifted.

"Well, the odds will never be in our favor, because we're small, slight kids who have barely a mind to kill. All of the others, mostly, are trained assassins." I explained. "It's about a 2 of 24 chance. And the careers could practially count for two people."

"Well, they don't miss a meal, do they?" CYrus asked ruefully. I inwardly congragulated him, though, because he knew that the cameras had to be on us. Now the clever Capitol is clued in that some districts are favored.

"Are you gonna take first watch?" I asked Cyrus. "I'm tired."

"Yes, I'll take first watch. Go to sleep," Cyrus answered. I curled up in the sleeping bag high above the air and fell into a deep, restless sleep. I dreamed that I was dying.

~~~---~~~

After I woke Cyrus up, because I was on first watch, we packed up our things. "Like it or not, someone's dying today," Cyrus said. "I won't let it be you, if you don't let it be me."

"Deal," I said. I picked up my trident and cleaned blood off of it. I'm not sure who's blood it was, but it was highly distracting. After we crammed everything in the backpack except for Cyrus's knives and my trident, we sat there for a minute.

"The Capitol sunrise is so beautiful," He said beside me.

"Yeah," I said, also looking at it. "Maybe under different circumstances, it'd be more enjoyable."

"If I die, will you give my ring to my family?" He asked suddenly.

"Definitely. And if I die, will you give my necklace to my dad?" I asked.

"You got yourself a deal." We sat in silence for a couple of moments, like the way only real friends can. Even though we've only known each other for a couple of days. Even though at least one of us would die, we'd come to a certain kind of peace with knowing that.

Suddenly, Cyrus shot up. "Did you hear that?" He whispered.

"No, what was it," I whispered back, tensing up. I quietly secured the backpack straps over my shoulder, and held the trident ready in my hand.

"It sounded like screaming. And I think I know who's it was," He said. "My district partner, Solis Sixela."

I didn't like the name, it sounded snarky, and I remembered her from the interviews. She seemed nice, but it was in her eyes, the bloodlust. She looked innocent, but I knew she wasn't. I bet that she could be a real cold-blooded killer. She had black hair and dark green eyes, and wore almost all black. "Why do you care?" I whispered back.

"Because she's from my district, and I'd be evil not to save her. Her dad died mysteriously a few years back, and her mom is unknown. I gotta help her."

I almost rolled my eyes, because If her and her dad didn't get along, I'm pretty sure how he died. But I held my tonge. "Okay, ally. Let's go save the princess."

"When did you become so arrogant?" He asked laughingly.

"When did you become so heartfelt?" I asked him sarcastically.

"Touche," He replied as we got to the bottom of the tree. I heard a scream again, closer to our left, and Cyrus took off in the direction. "Split up!" He yelled to me.

I rolled my eyes at the stupid plan and started to scan the area. I didn't like the plan of splitting up, because we're stronger as a team. I didn't see any signs of Solis, though. She was definitely in the direction of the screams.

Another scream jolted me. It was definitely farther away. I started walking in the direction of it, but thought against it.

I looked around for footprints, or blood, to see if she came this way. I saw lots of footprints, but no blood. I walked about a fifty foot circle of the area, scanning for blood on the leaves, soil, tree bark, or anything that blood could stick to. There were definitely lots of footpronts, but that's probably because we're only about fifty yards away from the Cornucopia, where the bloodbath took place. I tripped over a rock, biting back a curse. I realized that I was running, looking for any traces of any real danger. Well, I thought. The rocks are dangerous if you just so happen to be running through the forest like a blundering idiot, that's for sure.

I got up and dusted off my pants, which were becoming quite destroyed. I then realized that I've hardly lost a drop of blood since I've entered the Games. I'm doing pretty well. Maybe teaming up with Cyrus wasn't such a bad idea after all. I've managed to survive past the first couple of days. Maybe today will be easier. I then realized that I had no Idea what day it was. Day 3? Day 4? I think it's day three. Oh well, what does the day matter in a place where you'll be dying anyway?

Then, it hit me like a three-ton brick. The lightbulb above my head flashed at full maximum. And it wasn't a good thing, either. The bloodlust in Solis' eyes. The lack of blood anywhere. Cyrus's long absence. Her too-fake screams. It was too perfect. It was all too perfect.

Solis's plan was perfect. She had Cyrus right where she wanted him. And now she's going to kill him. "Cyrus!" I yelled, surprised at the pain in my voice. I yelled three more times before I got a response.

"Cas-" I heard him starrt from very far away. He was cut off. I ran, half stumbling, trident ready through the woods towards the sound of my ally's voice. "Cyrus, I'm coming!'

I reached a clearing, and caught a gllimpse of the unnatural grey of the tribute outifits this year through the trees. I ran through the trees, the small branches cutting my face and clothes until I ran into them. There were five tributes. All clustered in one spot. First, I saw Solis.Then the District 12 male, Mitchell Oak and DIstrict 11 male, Sonny. Then the DIstrict 7 female, Amber. And lastly, Cyrus, at the mercy of Solis. His mouth was effectively muzzled with a rope. Solis was cutting him effectively and periodically with her knife, promising a torturous death.

I laughed loudly, not sure who it scared more. Cyrus, the four tributes who had teamed up as their own little alliship, or me. I showed them my trident.

Solis smiled. "He's far beyond your help, Caspia." She practically spat the last part of my name, knowing that I didn't like it.

I smiled wintrily. "My name's Cass."