Chapter 8

Tobias hooks me up and i take in a deep breath.

"Are you sure about this?" He asks.

"I need to know my fears. My real ones. Its been a while." I confess.

Tobias nods and gives me the serum. It only takes a few minutes before really sinking into my mind.

I wake up in a field near the fence. Or actually, I'm on top of the fence, looking out to nothing but ash. A world destroyed by mankind. Nothing left but me. Alone. Forever. I closed my eyes and tell myself its not real. When i open them, I'm in water. An ocean. Something tugs on my legs and pulls me underwater. I gasp and hold my breath. Looking down, i see Tobias. He's trying to kill me. I panic. Waving my arms, i try swimming to the surface.

But i can't swim.

Its not real, i tell myself. Its not real, its not real.

When i open my eyes again, I'm in a dark room. There's no light, no sound but my breathing and heartbeat. I hate being alone. Where no one can see me. Where i can't see them. Where nobody even cares about me. I close my eyes once again and when i open them Uriah is standing there.

"Uriah?"

He lips gently touch my neck, raising my heartbeat. I let out an involuntary moan.

"You like me. Your just to afraid to admit it. To afraid to act on it. To afraid of getting hurt again." Uriah whispers.

I shake my head.

"No. No, i can't like you." I say.

"Its fear." His lips gently press against mine and i want help but kiss back.

Suddenly, his lip are gone. I open my eyes and see Jeanine. She's holding a gun to Tobias' head. My hands are tied to a chair. I'm frozen. I can't move at all.

"You won't cooperate and this is your punishment." She says.

"No. Not him please not him! Shoot me!" I yell.

"Its a sacrifice we all have to make." And then she pulls the trigger.

I shoot up out of my chair and breath heavily. Tobias unhooks me and I keep my eyes away from him.

"You're afraid of loving again." He says quietly.

"You already knew that so don't play dumb." I get up and head for the door.

"What about the water?" His question stops me. "I would never hurt you."

"What if you didn't have a choice Tobias?" I ask him, turning around. "What if Jeanine takes over?"

"No matter what, i wouldn't be able to hurt you." Tobias says.

"No Tobias, you can't kill me. That doesn't mean you can hurt me so bad i could die. You don't die right away when you drown. Your breathing just stops and your heart slows. You can easily let me go and leave me." I shrug.

"Jay...."

"Don't....i just need some rest. I'll be fine." I open the door and walk out, passing Tris on the way.

I just nod to her and keep walking to my room.