Chapter 7

"Alright, your next stage you have to take with the others. It's your fear landscapes." I say.

"Oh great." Uriah mumbles.

"Four is waiting for you so you should go." I say, grabbing my jacket.

"Are you coming with us?" Tris asks.

"No. I've been requested to see someone." I smile weakly.

"Who?"

"Just.....someone who wants to see me. Don't worry, I'll be back by nightfall." I reassure them.

Uriah and Tris nod and we go all walk out together. I have to go see Janeane.

I get on a train and wait for the erudite headquarters to come into view. Once I jump off the train, I travel through the city to the headquarters. Everything is familiar for some reason.

I walk up to the counter and the receptionist looks up at me.

"Jayline Eaton." I say.

The receptionist doesn't even look at the computer. She just nods.

"Down the hall to the left sweetheart."

I nod and follow the instructions. There is a long hallway before I can even reach Janeans office. I walk in without knocking and see she's standing at the window.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask.

"Have a seat." She says.

"I like standing." I retort.

"Even after a near death experience?" Janeane smirks.

"I've been through so many of those, you would be surprised." I shrug.

"Not such a fragile girl anymore huh?" Janeane stands up and walks around her desk. "Especially after whats his face died."

I bit my tongue to keep from lashing out. "His name was Adam."

"Right. Adam Maysor." Janeane smiles.

"What did you call me for?" I ask, somewhat angry.

"Tris, and Uriah have been disappearing through their training with Tobias. Have you any idea where they run off to?" Janeane asks.

"Not a clue." I lie easily.

"Hmm....." Janeane folds her arms in front of her chest and nods. "Any suggestions?"

"Maybe they're sneaking off for dates." I walk up to a chair and lean on it. "Happens all the time."

"You are one stubborn girl."

"Im Tobias's sister. What else do you expect?" I shrug and fold my arms in front of my chest as well.

"You're defiant, Jayline." Janeane says, casually.

"Trust me, I'm proud of it." I smirk.

At the moment I'm winning. Shes frustrated. I see it in her eyes, though her face stays expressionless.

"Is this all you wanted to talk about?" I ask.

"Yes. You may go."

By the time I get back to Dauntless headquarters, it's nightfall. I go to my dormitory and change into another pair of track pants. These ones are cotton and my favorite.

A knock at my door makes me jump. I quickly open my door to see Tris.

"What are you doing here. It's past-" I start.

"I don't care. I need you to come with me." Tris says, and walks away without my okay.

I take a step out of my room and Tris turns back.

"Hurry!" She exclaims quietly.

I close my door and jog to catch up to Tris. But once I get to her, she breaks into a light jog as well, so I don't stop.

"Whats going on?" I ask.

We turn the corner and Tris starts walking. I do the same ans look ahead to see two people walking towards the roof door.

"Who are they?" I ask.

"Its Will and another girl. They just got up and left." Tris says.

We follow them up to the roof and Will is the first to get onto the ledge.

"Whoa!" I exclaim.

The girl gets on the ledge and they stand to stare at us.

"You can only save one of us." They say in unison.

"Janeane." I whisper.

"Chose. Or we both jump." Will says confidently.

Tris and I look at each other. We have to save them both.

I quickly grab the girls hand and Tris grabs Wills. The girl digs her nails into my hand, and the sudden pain makes me let go. I scream as the girl falls over the edge. I look away before she hits the ground, remembering my best friend on the first day of initiation.

I take in a deep breath and look at Tris and Will.

"What happened? What are we doing on the roof?" Will asks.

"What does this mean.?" Tris says to me, ignoring Will.

"It means Janeane is planning something big. Huge even. And this is only the beginning."