Chapter 1

(Shay’s Point of View)   

“Dani, come on, do we really really have to do this? It’s,”  I look at the clock on my bedside table, “10:30?!  This is not okay! We both know that any time before 11:00 is a bad time to wake me up!”  I’m really starting to wish I hadn’t given her a key to my house.  Then again, my parents probably would’ve let her in anyways.  

    “Marie April Shay, get your skinny ass out of bed right now or I swear you’re gonna get it!  The fucking parade started 10 minutes ago and I promised Johnny I’d be there.  Now get the fuck out of bed!”  Dani screamed.  I’m amazed we’re such close friends considering we’re both screamers.  We scream at each other but it seems like the louder we yell, the more we love each other.  Some would call this a dysfunctional friendship, but me?  I’d call this Dani and Shay.  And yes, I’m perfectly aware that my first name’s Marie, I just think it’s so awful that I insist people call me Shay.  
    “Fine!”  I yell back, throwing off the covers and jumping out of bed.  Dani pushes me into the shower, clothes and all and sits outside the shower door to make sure I don’t fall back asleep.  I walk out and trade my soaking wet pajamas with her for a white fluffy towel.  

I walk back into my room to find that today’s outfit has already been chosen: A pair of really short, really hot red/magenta shorts, a white tank top, and a navy blue sweater with ruffles down the front alongside the tiny blue buttons, and white Havaianas.  I get dressed and shake out my long, straight, blond, already dry hair.  I grab my iPhone of its charger, my Ray Bands, pull $40 out of my purse and put it between my shoulder and my bra strap and am ready to go.  

Dani and I run down the stairs, shouting a goodbye to my parents and get into my grey BMW 5 station wagon.  We drive the 10 minutes to the beach where the parade is being held, and run out to go find Johnny’s float driving by on the street.  

“I see him!”  I yell.  We run off in the direction of the float about to explode with streamers and confetti.

(Will’s Point of View)

    “I cannot believe you made me come do this.  And because you insisted on driving, I’m stuck here all fucking day!”  I grumbled to my friend, Bryan.  We were as close as two people of the same sex could be without being gay.  Don’t get me wrong, I love stuff like this but I’ve had too many bad Fourth of July experiences.  In the past 21 Fourth of Julys I’ve endured, I’ve gotten glass stuck in my foot and had to get stitches, I got a concussion when my sister slammed my head against the side of a pool, and I caught my brother making out with my sister’s best friend.  Most recently, I caught my girlfriend cheating on me, with my sister’s boyfriend!  
    “Come on, man, what’s the worst thing that could happen?”  He asked, knowing what my answer would be.  
    “I don’t know, but considering my past experiences, I don’t want to find out!”  I hissed through my teeth.   
    “Look, the parade thing’s almost over and then we can go hang out on the beach, surf, maybe get a drink, have a little...fun.”  He said, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.   
    “Alright, but if I get bit by a shark and die, I’m coming back from the dead and taking you down with me.  And first round’s on you.”  I declared.  He knew I hated Fourth of July and knew doing this much was mandatory.  
    “Deal.”  We shook on it and stood our ground in the huge crowd that surrounded us. 

(Song is Island In The Sun by Weezer, because I'm feeling beachy.)