"I disagree, Doctor," Spock intervened, "I have read your dissertations and theses. You are quite knowledgeable in your field and I have also read your file. You have degrees in multiple fields and highly intelligent. To downplay your skills suggest you are hurt by my words and if that is so then accept my apologies for it was not my intention."

"You two are the best instructors we have on this campus. Both of you graduated earlier than most and both of you did it with honors. You both are qualified for this job and I want you to work on it together," Chris stated.

"As you wish sir." Spock turned to me, "I look forward to working with you, Doctor," then walked out the door.

~***~

It wasn't exactly a very eventful meeting but during the time we spent working on the Kobayashi Maru simulator, we had become close. During that time I learned he wasn't fully Vulcan and had a human mother. I had also begun to pick up on his little emotional cues. Now, it was hard to place his emotions at times, but they were there. I often teased him about it. We would also go meet Nyota at the bar and socialize normally. Sometimes, I would meet up with him to go get lunch, as our lunches seemed to be the same. I even had the privileged of meeting his parents. I like to think Sarek liked me. He was harder to read than Spock.

Now, it only seemed natural, like we had been friends for a long time. He even started calling me Anya. Every time I thought about it, it made my day easier. It reminded me life is hard, but it will never be as hard as befriending a Vulcan.

A beeping noise brought me out of my thoughts and I picked up my communicator, "This is Doctor Anastasiya Tchaikovskaya."

"Anya, I'm going to pick up some recruits in Iowa and wanted to know if you wanted to come."

I stopped reading. "Iowa? Yeah. Yeah, I'll go. When do I need to be ready?"

"It will only be a two day trip so pack what you think you'll need. Be ready by 0800 hours."

"Yes sir."

"Meet me at the dock and don't be late."

"Yes sir." I put my communicator down silent for a minute before bursting into giggles before turning out my lights and laying down to rest for the day to come.

When my alarm went off at 0700, I groaned in distaste, not wanting to leave the warmth of my bed but pushed myself up anyway. Like a zombie, I moved through my room getting ready. The sound of a knock on my door sounded as I began to brush my teeth and with no shame, opened my door while still doing so. I almost choked on my toothbrush when I beheld Spock on the other side.

"Oh good lord!" I coughed, making him raise an eyebrow. "What are you doing here? No offense. I'm just not used to visitors so... early in the morning."

"I was coming to wish you well on your recruitment trip," Spock stated and we stared at each other for a moment before my manners set in.

"Oh, Jesus! I'm sorry. Would you like to come in? I can get you some coffee or tea." I scolded myself mentally for being so rude. "I'm not usually so rude."

"There is no need to apologize, Anya. It is quite early. I hope I was not interrupting anything important," He looked around. "I must say I wasn't expecting your housing to-"

"Be clean? Organized?" I chuckled as I walked further into my room. "Um, would you like coffee? Tea? Water?" I looked back with a smile. "I would cook but I have to be at the dock in thirty minutes."

"There is no need, although your concern and hospitality is noted and appreciated."

"It's how I was raised, Spock. You'll find the same hospitality anywhere in the south, I suppose." I held up a finger, "Hold a second."

"I do not see how one could-"

I gave him a teasing smile, "It's a figure of speech, Spock." I closed the door to the bathroom and quickly got dressed before walking back out. "So are you going to sulk for two days until Nyota and I get back? Or will you, if you haven't already, prepare for the upcoming school year," I teased. I got no reply so I went to gather my things.

He didn't answer, but instead voiced his concern, "Anya, something has been...troubling me and I cannot make sense of it."

"Yeah?" I asked, turning to him with a kind smile, giving him my undivided attention. "Is it something I can help with?"

"It involves your files."

I felt my smile waver. I should've known this day was coming. He was inquisitive after all and, although he would never admit it, he was a very curious being. I rubbed my pointer finger against my thumb, trying to keep my voice steady as I asked, "What about them, Spock?"

"When I was reading them, I came across a predicament I thought you would be able to solve. Your files seem to go back as far as three years ago, when you were checked into a hospital in Mojave after falling from the sky. When I looked into your brother the same thing occurred. It is most curious as there is no record of you in Dallas being born in this century, yet, there was an Anastasiya Pavelovna Tchaikovskaya born in the late 20th century- 1998 was the year if I'm not mistaken- who mysteriously went missing. The report filed says that both she and her brother, Tchaikovsky Aleksandr Pavelovich, went missing after an unfortunate accident. The report did not record what accident occurred."

I stared at him. Chris had promised that no one would find out after he had made the same discovery.

How was I going to get out of this? "You are Tchaikovskaya Anastasiya Pavelovna, are you not? You managed to travel through time, a feat no one has been able to accomplish, least of all humans."

"Spock..." I said lowly. "What are you asking?"

"When I had asked Captain Pike a month ago, he told me it was something I should inquire of you and stated you would divulge the information when you were ready." He paused. "I do not wish to know how you did it, Anya, for I believe such knowledge would only be used to ensue chaos and war, everything Starfleet goes against, but I do wish to know why you did it."

I looked at the clock behind him. I had fifteen minutes to get to the dock. "I only have fifteen minutes to get to the dock, Spock. Unless you wish to discuss this at a different time, you can follow me and I..." I took a deep breath. "I will tell you."