"So, where's your mom?" Viv asked breaking the rules of silence.

"Gone. I think she had some meeting with her publisher," he replied with the first excuse that came to his head.

"Publisher? Your mom's a published writer?" she asked. Maybe she works with someone at HPG, she wondered.

"Yeah," he replied sheepishly.

"And why did you not tell me this?" she demanded in a teasing way.

"Well, like yourself, I don't want to be bugged about my family's business. You wouldn't even tell me your last name at tennis camp. Love the family, but there's more to you than your last name."

"That's fair, but you know a little more about my dad now, so spill about your mom!"

"Fine. Her name's Rory - "

"OH, MY GOD! Your mom is Rory Gilmore, author of Gilmore Girls and the Moonlight Valley series?" she squealed excitedly.

"One and the same. See, this is why I don't tell people, especially girls. They go all fan-girl on me," he replied with a knowing tone.

"Ok, sorry. I'm good now," she apologized and gathered herself. "Now that I'm over the initial shock, I promise not to bring it up anymore, at least not in the crazed fan sort of way."

"I appreciate that, but I don't expect you to not talk about my mom. I just like the idea that it's not the main topic of conversation."

"Well, I've been dying to ask - has your mom finally told you who your dad is?" Viv asked.

"Reluctantly, but she did."

"And?" she pressed.

"And what?"

"Who is it?"

"It's kind of a long story," he replied trying to make it obvious he didn't want to keep talking about this. WE SHARE A DAD! he shouted in his head.

"I'm here, and The Breakfast Club will be here later. Wait - let me get comfortable," she said rearranging herself with her legs tucked under her. "There - I'm ready!" This was one of the most exciting things that was going on in his life. She couldn't understand why he hadn't spilled to her already.

"Viv, it's complicated," he said making another excuse. He didn't know how many more ways he could say he didn't want to tell her without saying those words.

"Ritchie, I'm your best friend," she began. "You don't have to carry the secret!"

"It's.....just.....well.....he's really high profile. I'd rather not say," he stammered through another excuse.

"Ummmm.....HELLO! My dad is high profile, and I'm familiar with the secrets of the high profile. Just freakin' tell me!" she urged him.

"I can't," he admitted.

"Why? Does he not know about you? Are you a secret love child?" she asked, firing off questions.

"He just found out about me, so I guess that kinda makes me a secret love child."

"Whoa! This is huge! Did you meet him?" she said excitedly. Her attention was focused on him and the identity of his father. Why won't he tell me? she asked herself.

"Actually, I did meet him. He didn't know who I was though," Richard admitted.

"Really? How did you pull that off?"

"Yes, and it's really complicated," he averred. "Can we just drop it, please?"

"I just don't get why you won't tell me. We're best friends and I know you are dying to tell someone!" she said calling him out.