"Viv, you didn't have to bring anything. I've got it all under control!" Richard said.

"Oh, but I do! It's my own contribution to the night. Besides, I can really use some comfort food," she replied.

"I suppose I'll allow it."

"Allow?" she asked sounding surprised at this choice of words.

"You have no idea how much of a stickler my mom can be, but as long as it's junk food, you're probably fine," he assured her jokingly.

"Is she here?" she asked curiously. She'd heard a lot about his mom, but she was shrouded in a cloud of mystery. She made a mental note to learn more about her.

"No, but I still abide by her rules. Trust me, she can smell it when she gets home. I get mocked for eating salad sometimes," he replied gesturing to her to come further into the house.

"My mom would have loved that. She was a real health nut. Dad said she wasn't always like that, but I guess she became friends with some personal trainer, and her new attitude was adopted in full force at home," Vivienne said as she made her way inside and set down her bag next to the coffee table. She began pulling out her candies, adding to the selection Richard already laid out. She claimed a spot on the couch and got comfortable by throwing a blanket over her legs.

"Oh, was she having an affair with him or something? Usually, it takes more than just training sessions to become that gung-ho about something," Richard asked.

"Not him.....her. I think they started off as friends, but I remember them being together more often than not when I was younger," Viv replied quietly.

"Right in front of you?"

"No, not like that. She came over for private sessions and would be there for dinner when my dad was out of town on business. I thought nothing of it, to be honest. I was still fairly naïve. I don't think Dad caught on until later. About three months after that, Mom moved out. Only, it wasn't that simple. She stayed in the house for appearance's sake but moved to the other wing. They were already living separate lives, so it wasn't much of an adjustment."

"I'm sorry," he said. He didn't know what to say. He'd stayed out of the drama of parent divorces at school.

"That's about the same time I started stashing junk food. Mom forbade it, so it was my obsession," she said with a soft smile. "I didn't make a habit of things like this, but it was a huge point of contention between us. I had to get creative with hiding places!"

"It makes sense now," he replied with a smile.

"But, let's not talk about my parents for a while. I'm not quite ready to get too deep into this, and we definitely don't have enough time or candy!"

"That's fair."

"So, what are we watching? And you can't say The Good Wife!"

"Then, I'm out," he said with a chuckle.

"How about we go way back with The Breakfast Club?"

"I'm in and my mom would definitely approve!" he agreed with a smile. He loved the classics that his mom had shown him growing up. It felt right to share it with his sister.

He turned on the movie and they began watching. They sat in silence, per the rules, while the movie played. Richard started feeling awkward in the quiet. He desperately wanted to tell Vivienne his secret, but he didn't know how she'd take it. She didn't seem overly upset about her mom's affair, although, she did get uncomfortable toward the end and changed the subject. Maybe it's easier because her mom's not here anymore, he thought.