20 | end & begin

2 0

end & begin

EVERYONE WAS GLAD to see Teddy back to normal as well, especially Violet. I was nervous that she would try to win him back, but thankfully, she realized that he — and we all — had been through enough tonight. She had all day in the office tomorrow if she wanted to pull another stunt like that. I was happy for her that she had gotten that off of her chest, but the fact that she wanted Teddy back and there was no reason why he wouldn't take her was enough to make my skin crawl. I didn't know her that well, but backsliding was never good for anyone.

After getting food, we were all ushered to tables for the auction where a small stage and podium had been set up for the auctioneer. Sitting at the table with all of them was strange after what had just happened, but I was lucky to grab the closest seat to Teddy while Violet sat on the other side with Elise. I didn't exactly want Violet getting any ideas.

I was grateful to fill my stomach at least, because there were at least twenty hot ticket items that were being auctioned off in each category. Of course, that meant they would be putting my sculpture up for a bid since the photographer lady went to take a picture of it when Teddy and I were back there. I could feel myself slowly fill with dread at the thought of it, but the food was too good to be bothered with that right now.

"Damn," I whispered to Teddy as I pointed to one of the sirloin medallions I had on my plate, "did they make these in heaven?"

"No, they actually had private chefs flown here to do it," he said nonchalantly. At my look of surprise he added, "from like California. Nothing too fancy."

I shrugged. "It's fancy for me. We don't all have champagne tastes here. At best I've got eight dollar bottle of wine tastes."

"We all start somewhere," he said with a smile.

I couldn't help but blush, unsure as of why I was suddenly so immersed in him. It was almost like the last few days have just been Teddy, Teddy, Teddy and he hasn't gotten out of my head just yet. Of course, I was terribly concerned for him, as well as bound to him through assisting him on this big case, but it felt like there was more going on inside of me that I wasn't aware of.

After that, everything just turned back to normal. Teddy was chatting it up with his brother, having already recovered from the news of his sexuality, while Elise seemed to be gushing over Violet's dress now that the timing seemed appropriate.

It made me wonder where I fit into this party of five. They all seemed to be getting along quite well, even after such a powerful disruption as years spent thinking your wife had cheated on you only to find out that she hadn't all along or finding out that your brother was a father and you were an uncle. I was still here with this family and yet I had nothing to do with it, the dreaded cloud of isolation casting itself over me.

But then I felt Teddy's arm wrap around my shoulder, bringing me back from out of my thoughts and into the moment. "Marilyn, this is your moment."

I frowned, unsure about what he meant by that but then I turned around and knew. Someone was hauling up my sculpture of my ex-boyfriend to the stage. I flushed with embarrassment, unable to believe this was happening. Especially unable to believe why this was happening to me of all people.