twenty-seven

Depuis le début

"Okay, so, uh, Al, he gets tired of being extorted, maybe he decides to wipe Billy off the books for good." Danny theories.

We all nod our heads in synch. "Danny and I will will go get him. You send us the address." Steven finishes before they walk out of the doors.
---------------

"We got something?" Danny asks as he and Steve walk in from interrogating the suspect.

"Yeah, so forensics came back on the boot print you found at the scene. There was a logo on the sole: some kind of a crest." I answer while Kono highlights the crest on the bottom of the shoe.

"Did you track down the manufacturer?" Steve looks at me with slight concern.

"Yup." I whisper.

"Okay, good, please tell me that you can trace it back to Al." Danny exclaims.

"Uh, hate to be a buzzkill, but the boots were custom made for Spencer Madsen's team, not Al's." Kono admitted.

"The Diamond Head Club." Steven mentioned.

I really feel the need to be a sarcastic pain in the ass right now.

"Right, and, sorry again, Danny, but Al Reingold's alibi checks. He was at the horse auction on Molokai. He was placing bids all weekend and only got back in to Honolulu about an hour before you guys tracked him down." Kono says.

"You know, I really, really wanted Al to spend the rest of his life in prison. Son of a bitch almost got me trampled to death while a bunch of one percenters sipped champagne and cheered." I couldn't help the small smirk that appeared on my face.

"Kono, Emily, we gotta track down everybody with a pair of those boots." Steven looks at me briefly while speaking.
---------------

The four of us stood in the Madsen's estate, the living room to be more precise.

I had given Mrs. Madsen the photo of the riding boots, who quickly knew what they were.

"I worked closely with the designer on these. The crest on the sole was my idea." She says to begin.

"My wife has always been a polo fan." Mr Madsen shares with us.

"It's why Spencer bought the Diamond Head Club. I still can't believe it, Billy was such a strong rider. It's just awful." I looked at Danny's facial expression, noticing he wasn't really buying into her whole pity party either.

"How can we help?" Mr. Madsen asks before we can tell him.

"We're gonna need a list of everybody with a pair of these boots." Steven says immediately.

Mrs. Madsen, Amanda, responds,"That's a long list."

"All the players have them, of course, but we also give them as gifts. So, there have to be what, Amanda? A few hundred pair floating around the island?"

"At least." She responds to her husband.

"What about video surveillance?" I begin. "You must have security."

"Absolutely. There's nothing up on the practice field, but there are cameras at every gate." Amanda replies.

Danny continues with the questioning, "Whoever hung up that garroting wire had to have done it after the team practice last night and before Billy rode this morning, so something maybe on film?" He looks to Steven as he finishes.