"I believe I instructed you to allow me to explain myself before you ask anything of me." He cut you off, and beckoned you to follow him. "We must get back to the manor. Our time in the city has to be cut short. Once he wakes he'll need to be in familiar surroundings. I can't risk his health deteriorating. Also, I'd advise you to wait before speaking to him once he does rouse. You're part of his past. He'll have questions of his own for you. I don't think he'll be wholly happy with you, either." You waited for him to elaborate despite the fact that you would have interrupted in any other situation.

He didn't. You spoke again. "Why would he be unhappy with me?" You followed behind the two of them as Sebastian had already arranged a coach to carry you back out of the city. You didn't even see him call anyone. You should have been more observant. He was too good at what he did to be human. Why didn't you pay closer attention?

"You were there, when he died, weren't you?"

"He died?" You didn't understand. "How did he-"

"He was sacrificed. I'm sure you know what that means, given your history here."

"He was..." you were at a loss. You never fully believed these things were possible. You did, deep down, but you considered them unreachable, and now, you were part of this world, fully, and somehow you were unharmed, and if anything, on the good side (if there was one). You were being protected by it. "He was killed?"

"How do you think I was called here? It takes more than just a wishful delusion to call someone like me to someone like you. You have to offer something up."

"He didn't choose to, though, if you're saying he was taken and traded like an animal! He died! He was gone! You brought him back, then didn't you? You let him live again just so you can one day-"

"Consume him." He finished your sentence curtly, as though it was insignificant, a commonplace remark. "I have to eat, too don't I? Why not enjoy my meal? I used to follow a more uncouth route. Messily sampling every dish available no longer interests me. My tastes have gotten more refined." Ciel was still out cold. You wondered how he'd react if he were to wake up during such a crass conversation.

"So what did he do? How did you two-"

You didn't even care to check to see how the coach was being driven, all you knew was that you hadn't stopped talking. You were riding through the streets that led back westward, and Sebastian was still clutching his prize. "There are a few requirements in order to form a contract. I can't speak for us all, but it seems to be somewhat standard for a human to do two things. First-" he held up a finger. "He must be searching for a way out of a desperate situation. The second-" he held up another finger. "He must forsake God."

You huffed. "Obviously." He grinned inquisitively, almost as though he was goading, and you explained yourself. "Well, I mean why or even how would anyone who thought they'd get a shot at going to Heaven choose to make a deal with a damn demonic entity when they're already dead? They've done the hard part! Dying hurts, but that's it. Once the pain is gone, then there's nothing to be afraid of if you believe in God. Anyone knows that."

"Anyone?" He needed to stop smiling.

"Why are you so happy about this?" You crossed your arms and looked away from him.

"You believe in God? I'm sure you can't speak for everyone."

You realised even he had just said that about whatever his own kind thought about souls. You looked at him again. "Fine. You got me. I can't. But for what it's worth-" you looked out of the window. You were getting closer to the nicer area of the city. You were moving so quickly. "Yes. I do. I always have. It's why-" You looked down at your finger. The thin, silver band you wore seemed darker. You stuck your hand between your thighs. He had no right to see it. "It's why I'm not afraid of anything." You regretted saying it before it even came out of your mouth.