"I can be very persuasive."

"Why'd you do it?" Steve asked.

"I wanted to come home. Tired of running."

"Okay, well, where have you been for the last few weeks?"

"Few weeks?" I ask incredulously. "You mean, she was here?" They both turn to look at me.

"Em, you just got back yesterday."

"From where?"

Steve and I answered her at the same time. "DC." "None of your damn business."

"You still had almost an entire day to tell me." He turns back to our mother to interrogate her, tired of how it feels when done to him.

"I just needed some time. I-I wasn't sure how you'd take this." Doris says.

"Well you should've told me what the plan was."

"Sure, sure, you never would have agreed to it."

"No, I probably wouldn't have agreed to it." His voice is getting louder.

"See." She says.

"W-what is this? What are these bags? You're staying?" I chuckle at Steve's tone.

"Oh hell no." I walk back up the stairs.

"Emily!" Steve yells. I spent 5 minutes packing a bag before changing into my clothes for the day.

 I spent 5 minutes packing a bag before changing into my clothes for the day

"Emily, are you coming with me?" He knocks on the door before opening it.

"Yeah. I'll be downstairs in 5." He nods his head and walks out, closing the door behind him.

As promised, I was downstairs within 5 minutes, but was stopped before I could make it to the door.

"What, Doris?"

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that my mother faked her own death because she thought it was the right thing to do. What's wrong is that you showed up here after.. you know what, I don't need to explain myself to you." I walk out the door, ignoring her calls behind me.

"You okay?" He asks once I walk to where he can see me.

"Yeah. I'll just drive myself today, get a head start." He nods.