Chapter Thirty Four

The song that I imagine Carter singing is linked above! Enjoy the chapter :)

_______________

"Okay," Carter announces as he lowers himself into the much too small seat at the much too small cafeteria table, his eyes finding mine from a few seats away. "I have the lyrics."

"Lyrics?" Joey asks in puzzlement, his eyebrows furrowed. "What lyrics?"

I, however, ignore Joey and let out a dramatic breath. "It's about time. We've been done with the composition for weeks."

"It's only been a week and six days," Carter points out indignantly.

"Hello?" Joey stresses with an incredulous look on his face. "Am I on mute?"

Wes and Georgina walk up to the lunch table and begin to sit down when Wes greets, "Hey guys. Where's Joey?"

I finally take my pointed look off of Carter and glance at Wes, who looked like he was fighting a smirk. Georgina sat beside him and rolled her eyes when Joey cried, "I'm right here! Why can nobody hear me?"

"Oh, Joey," Carter acts surprised by Joey's presence and offers him a wave. "I didn't see you there."

"I was going to ignore him all lunch," Wes whines childishly.

Joey frowns at him and reaches over Georgina to land a swift punch on Wes' shoulder. While they begin to argue with each other, poor Georgina gets caught in the crossfire and has no choice but to lean back and let them go at it.

Carter simply looks between the ever bickering duo and then rests his expectant gaze on me. "So, can I come over after school?"

I regard him curiously as my mind slowly remembers our conversation before Joey had a meltdown, and after a long moment, I finally nod. "Yeah, sure. If you give me a ride."

"It's a deal," The corners of his lips turn up into a smile. "I'll meet you at your locker after eighth period."

As I nod, Carter stands up from his seat and I ask, "Where are you going?"

A mischievous smirk slides onto his lips as he looks at all of us- except Joey- and announces, "To go find Joey."

Joey begins whining all over again, but Carter simply winks at me before he turns and stalks away from our table. I watch his retreating figure as a small smile begins creeping up on my lips without my permission because, well, it seemed that he had that effect on me. The ability to make me smile.

I finally pull my gaze off of Carter's back when I hear someone fall into the seat beside me, and I glance to my left to see that Georgina had moved away from the bickering boys to relocate next to me. Despite the fact she had been caught in the middle of Wes and Joey's argument, she had a knowing kind of smile on her lips, and I knew her attention had been switched to me.

"You seem happy," Georgina drawls with a smile of her own.

I try to flatten my smile in order to give her a blank look, but my lips are still turned up at the corners. "So do you, with Wes."

Her smile doesn't falter, but instead, if I'm not mistaken, it seems to grow a little. "I am." She spares him a quick glance before settling her gaze back on me and lowering her voice. "How have things been with Carter? We haven't really talked about it in a few weeks, but I can tell that something changed. You're not trying to keep your distance anymore."