Chapter Sixteen

This chapter put me through an emotional rollercoaster just from writing it ok
Vote and comment to tell me how much you want to find yourself a man like Carter because wow
***************************

I shuffled through the line, randomly picking up pieces of food and putting them on my plate without paying much attention. My mind was still clouded; not from sleepiness, but from thoughts of Carter and Teddy. Poppy had woken me up at six o'clock, not even surprised that I managed to sleep through the entire day, and dragged me to the dining hall so I could eat. I hoped that when I woke up I would feel refreshed, but I felt just as hopeless as I had this morning.

When I reached the end of the line, I turned around and started walking toward my table, but stopped in my tracks when I saw Carter sitting there. James and Justin surrounded Poppy on either sides, laughing as she said something, and Carter sat beside James. Looking straight at me. Slowly, I picked up my pace again, not even sure myself how I was going to act around him. I had made my mind up this morning: we couldn't be together, even if it was a nothing-serious, stupid summer fling.

As I sat at the table, Poppy sobered up and shot me an apologetic look, but I just offered a weak smile instead. I began picking at my food, not too interested in joining the table conversation, but that didn't stop Carter from leaning forward across the table. I pretended not to notice, but when he came near me, my heart thumped harder in my chest: a warning sign that Carter Miller was nearby.

"Amelia," Carter says quietly, but I don't look up. "Where were you all day?"

Without looking at him, I mumble, "Asleep."

He's quiet for a moment before his voice raises, but is still only quiet enough for the two of us to hear. "Amelia, look at me."

It wasn't a question, but rather a demand, and the seriousness in his tone made me irritated. So I looked up with a stoic expression yet hardened eyes, staring at him like he wanted, not offering any words. His brow creased as he frowned at me.

"What's wrong?" Carter asks, his voice softer than before.

"Nothing," I say fiercely. "Just stop talking."

Sure, it was harsh, but I couldn't think of anything else to say. After all, he was making it harder for me to stick by my decision when he acted like he cared about me. I looked back down and continued pushing the food on my plate around, intent on spending the rest of dinner like this, but Carter had other plans.

He stood up from the table abruptly, and grabbed my arm to drag me up. My fork fell onto my plate, making a loud enough noise to grab Poppy's attention, along with the twins. I glared at Carter as he began marching out of the dining hall, trying to get my arm out of his grip.

"What the hell, Carter?" I shout once we're outside.

He drops my arm but remains close to me, so close that I can smell his musky scent. His hazel eyes were focused on me, narrowed slightly as he took me in.

"Why are you mad?" He demands. "Is it because of this morning?"

I take a step back, unable to think straight when he's so near, but keep my eyes narrowed at him. "You think? You acted like an asshole when I was freaking out! I wanted comfort, not arrogance."

Carter threw his hands up and groaned, "Really? You're this pissed at me because of some shit I said when I was half asleep?"