18: Something's Bound To Begin.

Start from the beginning

"Okay," she said slowly. "So we practice more. We make sure we win."

He looked at his feet. "We can't win without Rachel."

That was true.

"You know that," he added.

"Yeah, well Stubbles left. There's nothing we can do about it."

"What if there is?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Like what?"

"Look. Don't be mad, okay? But she likes me, and . . . and I feel bad even suggesting this, but maybe, I don't know, I can, like, use that."

"For what?"

"To get Rachel to join Glee again."

Quinn's stomach was sinking. "What exactly are you suggesting?"

"I thought maybe . . . I could, like, take her out and, I don't know, talk her into coming back."

"You want to ask her out and lead her on, just so she'll come back to Glee?"

"I wouldn't, like, kiss her or anything," Finn said quickly. "Just . . ."

"Show her a good time?" Quinn asked sarcastically.

"It would be for us, for the baby!" he insisted.

"No."

"But . . . we need Rachel to win."

Quinn nodded. "Fine. But you are not going on a date with her! I'll find a way to get her back in Glee club."

"Really?"

She licked her lips, mind already racing with possibilities. "Yeah. Leave it to me."

Rachel watched Jacob Ben Israel and Mr. Ryerson walk out and then looked down at her breasts. Could she really show her bra to Jacob just to avoid a bad review on his terrible website? She didn't think so, but . . .

"Are you checking yourself out?"

Startled, she looked up to see Quinn standing just inside the door, smirking at her. "No, I was just . . . Can I help you with something?"

Quinn frowned at her disinterested tone but stepped deeper into the room. "I was just wondering how the musical was going?"

"It's going very well thank you. It's nice to be somewhere where I'm finally appreciated for once."

"You were appreciated in Glee club."

"No. I wasn't. Nobody even likes me."

"There's a difference between being liked and being appreciated. Everyone misses your amazing talent."

Rachel smiled at the surprising source of the compliment as much as the compliment itself, but it only lasted a second before she remembered how upset she was with the Glee club in general.

"Then they should have thought about that before they ostracized me. I'm much happier being a solo artist. Being part of an ensemble was just slowing me down."

"I see."

Rachel nodded and then took a seat at the piano, putting her back to Quinn. She couldn't look at her any more, it was too hard to keep the twin cartoon love hearts from her eyes after a weekend spent obsessing about her.

"Don't you think you're being a little selfish though?"

She shook her head. "No. I think Mr. Schuester was being selfish by giving my solo to Tina. That's why I left."

"I wasn't even there when you made your decision."

Rachel looked down at the black and white keys, hesitating because she didn't know how to take that comment.