Gin & Tonic

"A gin and tonic under its tiny canopy of lime, I said, elevates character and makes for enlightened conversation" Michael Chabon

~~

Liam-

Sitting in that leather booth, staring at all the people walking around, feeling so numb from the whole week was not how Liam planned to celebrate his birthday weekend.

Why was he numb? It could have been that the biggest promotion at his job was given to the pretty young girl who had been sleeping with the boss over his extremly qualified portfolio. It could have been the fact he spent all of his savings on a ring for the girl he loved and was nervous as hell to finally pop the question. But it was most likely the fact he had walked into his apartment to see all off her things were gone and there was a note written in lipstick on the counter saying she did not want to be in a commited relationship anymore.

Yeah. That was definitely where the numbness came from.

"Liam!" He heard someone shout.

He spun his head to look over at his curly haired buddy, waving his hands wildly to get Liam's attention.

"Mate, if you continue to sit here and sulk I might have to blow my own brains out," Harry took the final swig of his beer.

"Chill out Harry," Liam's blonde friend, Niall said sitting on his other side. Being sandwiched between the two guys who had been there when the shit hit the fan, and who at that very moment were trying to get his mind off the situation was not making him feel any better, no motter how hard they tried.

"She left you. Packed up her shit and left. You do not sit and whine over a girl who doesnt even have the deceny to say 'it's over' to your face," Harry grabbed Liam's face between both of his hands pulling him so that they were cheek to cheek looking out into the large crowd of people.

"There are tons of new, mostly used, automobiles in this place. You need to go out there and find one you can just have a fun test drive on the wild terrain of No Regrets Sexual Pleasure." Harry pushed Liam's face away and started to look around, for what Liam presumed was to find his own 'automoile'.

"Did you just refer to the women in this club as cars?" Liam had finally spoken, rubbing his cheeks.

"Yeah that is a bit degrading, even for you Harry," Niall cringed.

"Yeah well, Niall, I will be going home with one of these ladies while you two will be sitting here moping about some girl who is not worth the time or effort." Harry tried to wave over a cocktail waitress but non seemed to notice his hand.

"The service here blows. They better fix that if they want my businees again. And I mean could they at least get the girls to wear more low cut tops?" Harry stood and walked around the table. He pointed at Liam and Niall asking if they wanted any more to drink but they both shook their heads.

"I am sorry he doesn't get the fact it was more than her leaving," Niall tried to comfort.

Liam always knew Niall could be the one guy he could trust to give the comforting words of wisdom he needed. Not that what Harry had said was not true, it was just harsh ways of putting a delicate subject.

"Thanks," Liam patted Niall's shoulder.

"But can I say Harry is right," Niall cringed as he said it.

"I know he is," Liam tried to laugh, "I just can't look at a woman like a car."

"Pretty sure most people don't. It is just Harry's sex crazed mind." Niall joked. "But we should scope the room and see if there is anyone that catches your fancy."

They began to look around the room and it was so packed, being the first month of the club opening, he could barely see the faces of the people. And then one of the spotlights moved and scanned over a group who was smiling and laughing and cheering. One woman sat with the group and seemed to be so distant from her celebrating friends, that he was surprised he was relating to the total stranger.

She looked up from her phone and looked around the club and her eyes caught with his. For only a second, she gave a curtious smile and looked away and back down at her phone.

"Found one already?" Niall took Liam out of the trance.

"How did you know?"

"You had a puppy dog face. Might as well been drooling and panting," Niall nudged.

Guinevere-

She felt someone staring. It was odd that even in a packed club she was still able to feel a singular set of eyes on her. She looked around and when she met the eyes of the young man, she gave an awkward smile and looked back down at her phone. But it was not the phone she was really looking at. It was the large rock on her finger.

In her booth, surrounded by a group of friends who were so happy for her, she felt like the shittiest person in the world.

Why?

Because she was not even sure the guy who put the rock on her finger was the man she wanted to marry.

Jaime was obnoxious, loud, and always needed to be the center of attention. When she was in Uni she enjoyed his out going attitude because she had never felt comfortable being that way herself. He had helped her to slowly come out of her shell. She was never the same "life of the party" but suddenly she was able to talk to people without having to run to the bathroom because of panic attacks.

But he was the only man she ever said, "I love you" to. And he was one of maybe three men she had been intimate with.

And so she setteled. She stayed with the comfortable. And she was fine with it right up until all her girlfriends wanted to take her out to celebrate.

"Guin's getting married! Guin's getting married," her friends began to holler and she flinched at how much louder than the music they were.

"Smile Guinevere," Her best friend Camilla nudged.

"Sorry," she apologized and put on a large smile.

"I am going to grab a drink. Want me to grab you one?" Cami asked.

"Gin and tonic." she replied.

Cami nodded and stood up to walk up to the bar.

Guinevere watched as Cami walked up to the bar and a young blonde guy stood next to her. They looked at each other surprised and like that Cami had met a new guy.

Cami had the looks of an angel and the good spirit to actually be one. That was why Guin knew she would be the one to talk to about the second thoughts.

"A drink for the lovely lady," the young waitress said dipping down to drop a drink in front of Guin.

"I'm sorry I didn't order this. What is this?" She picked up the bright pink concotion.

"It's a daiquiri. And no you didn't he did," the woman pointed to the guy Guinevere had caught staring at her.

The girls around her all giggled and she watched the guy tip his head and glass towards her. She again felt an awkward smile play on her face and tipped the drink slightly in appreciation.

This night could actually prove to be the one she needed all along.

~~

I REALLY WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS STORY!!! Comment please. And if you like it, I would totally not be opposed to asking you to click the little vote button as well :)