85

Jason

I hold Nessie in my lap as she sips her bottle. She leans her head against my forearm that's supporting her as I cradle her like the baby she is. Her eyes are glued to the screen as she watches The Secret Life of Pets. I stroke her cheek gently, only grazing my knuckle against her skin.

Once the bottle is empty, she pops it out of her mouth. "Here, Daddy," she mumbles. I chuckle as her focus remains on the television. She yawns after a few minutes, "I's tired now."

I smile when she buries her face between my chest and bicep. "Let's go to bed," I stand up with her in my arms. I let out a huff as I stumble. She pushes herself down and marches upstairs. I shut off the tv before following her. Nessie lays in bed, her knees against her chest under the covers. I furrow my eyebrows. "Baby?" I close the door. I make my way to the bed. I sit next to her and rub her side through the duvet. "What's wrong, babygirl? You were okay a minute ago," I whisper.

"I's knows I's fat, Daddy. I don't needs you to 'mind me," she turns so her back is facing me.

I roll my eyes, jumping over and landing on my side in front of her. "Princess, you aren't fat," I pull her into my arms. "You're perfect." She shrugs, avoiding my eyes. I move her so she's laying on my chest. "Look at my baby," I tap her nose.

"Stop it," she grumbles.

"My grumpy little baby, huh? Let's get some sleep."

Nessie nuzzles her face against my neck. She kisses the skin lightly. "Night, Daddy. I love you."

I smile and kiss her forehead. "I love you, too, baby."

«» «» «»

I'm startled awake when the door opens. "Sorry," Leigh chuckles lightly. "Kinsley is downstairs with the kids. She wants to know if you want us to tell them you're home or wait until tomorrow?"

I look down to see Nezther still sound asleep on top of me. "Can we wait until tomorrow? Nessie really wanted to be in her headspace today. We were going to go in the basement and get her old toys out."

She smiles lovingly, "of course. Have fun today. I'm off to work."

«» «» «»

"Baby, no," I try to correct Nessie. She ignores me, continuing to look through the cupboards for a snack. "Nezther, I said no snacks," I grab her waist.

"Daddy!" She screams at me.

I let her go, startled at her sudden outburst. "What!?" I yell back at her.

"I'm hungry," she mumbles and makes her way over to the pantry again.

I sigh heavily, rubbing my palms over my face. "You just ate, baby. You can't be hungry," I groan.

"M-MA!"

Nezther and I both turn to see Carson in the doorway. Kinsley comes running after him. "I'm so sorry," she lifts Carson up.

"NO!" He screams. "MA-MA!"

Nezther walks over to them and takes Carson into her arms. "I'm here, baby."

And just like that, she's no longer my baby.

«» «» «»

I stand at the end of the gated driveway with Nezther and Carson, waiting for the other kids to come home. My wife and son sit on the ground, playing with the little cars he loves.

"Daddy?" I look down at Nessie. "We have ice cream?"

I nod, looking back at the road for any signs of the bus. "When the rest of the kids come home we can have some ice cream."

"Can i's play wif dem when dey home?"

"Of course, babygirl. Just promise you'll be good."

She stands up and hugs me tightly. "I promise, Daddy."

I kiss her forehead. "I love you, Princess, you know that?"

A giggle like the perfect melody escapes her lips. "I know, I love you too, Daddy," she leans up to kiss my lips. I smile into the loving kiss.

My god, I love her so much.