29

Most of what happens with the babies in this chapter is made up. I know most of it isn't true, but this is a FICTION story.

Nezther 

"Ms. Bennett?" One of the nurses from earlier comes into the room.

I look up from my phone. "Y-Yes?"

"Grace will not stop crying. May we bring her in here so you can hold her?"

"Y-Yes!" I shout. "B-Baby need t-t-to know m-mom-mommy did-didn't aband-abandon her," I say as quickly as possible.

Jason grabs my hand. "Calm down, sweets," he says softly.

The nurse returns with Grace. "M-My fl-flower," I coo at the baby in my arms.

"Flower?" Jasper comes over to the bed. "That's her name?"

"No, bud," Leigh pulls him onto her lap. "Her name is Gracie. Mommy just gave her the nickname flower."

He nods, "I like it, momma."

"Th-Thanks," I murmur as I hush the infant. "B-Baby, y-you know me. I-I'm mommy," I huff at the stupid stuttering. "S-Sorry I-I am talk-talking like this. I a-a-am in s-so much p-pain a-and I am really worri-worried about y-you."

My premature baby cuddles into my chest, gripping the gown in her small fists. "This is unbelievable," I look up to see the doctor staring at the child and I. "This has never happened before. The baby isn't even supposed to be out of the incubator."

I pull Grace farther into me. "M-Mommy will ke-keep warm," I nod to him. Everyone stares at me with wide eyes. "Wh-What?" I murmur, growing self conscious.

"Nes, she knows who you are," Jason says slowly. "Normally premature babies don't know their mother until a few weeks after they go home."

I furrow my eyebrows. "B-But baby-baby ne-needs m-me."

He nods just as the doctor does. "That's why we're so amazed. This has never happened. When a child is born prematurely, they don't want the mother. They want the incubator because it's warmer."

I look down to see Gracie staring up at me. "Ca-Can I-I try t-to feed h-her?"

"Yes, ma'am. We were going to have you do that later, but the quicker the better," he replies as some nurses walk in.

One holds a mass of blankets and the other is pushing a cart filled with diapers and wipes with a little garbage can hanging off of it. "We can bring Jenny in also, if you'd like," the older one says. "I could stay in here to help out."

"P-Please," I nod quickly. I move the gown off of my shoulder to reveal my breast. "F-Flower," I push her closer to my boob. "E-Eat please."

Her lips attach to my nipple and she sucks harshly. "Because of how small she is, we'd like a nurse in here with you at all times," the doctor says.

"That's fine," Jason replies for me. "Is there anyway she can get some more pain medication? Or will it affect the breast milk?"

"She can get more. It's basically an epidural in a pill form which means it won't affect the baby at all," the doctor smiles. "I'll be right back with that."

Kinsley stands up from her seat on the small couch. "Jason, can I talk to you, alone, for a sec'?" She asks quietly.

He nods, "here, Jay." I watch as he gently places Jenny in his arms.

Jasper climbs into my bed. He strokes Grace's cheek gently. "What she doin', Momma?" He looks up at me with a cute pout.

"Sh-She's eating," I tell him.

"Did me do that when I was a baby?"

I nod, "yes-s, you did."

"Me do it now?"

I shake my head. "N-No, babe. P-Princesses n-ne-need the milky," I say slowly.

Jason comes back into the room. "Kinsley is going for a walk. She wants to know if Leigh would like to go," he leans against the doorframe.

Leigh nods quickly. "Of course."

"Wh-What you t-t-talk 'bout?"

Jason sits next to the bed. "I'll tell you later, Darling."

Leigh

I walk out of the room to see tears running down Kinsley's face. "What happened?" I ask as I rush over to her.

"I told Jason," she cries. "I told him that I love Justin but I don't want to go back to New York. I want to stay here."

I furrow my eyebrows. "So what's the problem? Long distance–"

She cuts me off. "I'm pregnant, Leigh," she snaps. "I can't keep him from his baby."

"Does he know?" She nods. "Shit, I don't know then, Kin. How about we talk about something else? Stress isn't good for the baby," I say softly. She agrees silently with another nod.