71

I sit up against my headboard, sobbing into Jason's pillow which is against my chest. I bury my face into it, taking in his scent. "Baby," I cry heavily. My heart is torn into two. I can't believe myself, I just admitted my own husband into a psych-ward. My chest tightens as it becomes harder to breath. "Jason," I cry out as I squeeze the pillow against me as tight as I can. My phone blares the ringtone beside me. I reach for it. "H-Hello?" I stutter.

"Mrs. McCann? This is Doctor Lega, I spoke with you about your husband a few hours ago."

"Yeah," I sniffle, "is he okay? I miss him." I wipe my eyes.

"He's doing alright, ma'am. He just calmed down finally, we promised he could talk to you if he did. Is that okay?"

"Absolutely."

Shuffling is heard from the other end of the line. "Nessie?"

I sit up straight. "Jace," I break down all over again. "Oh my God, baby, are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm doin' fine. They- um... they told me I can't come home for a couple days."

"I know," I nod, "Papa is going to come and get the kids and bring them to our old house for awhile. You can't come home until they're out of the house."

"Do you think I'm going to get them?"

"No, but I don't want them seeing you hurt yourself," I whisper.

"The voices won't stop, Nes," he mumbles, "they won't leave me alone."

"My poor bugga," I cry out. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because I'm fucking crazy, Nezther. I'm fucking insane and I don't want you to see it."

I throw the blankets off myself. "I'm coming up there. I can't believe I did this to you. You aren't crazy, Jason. You're amazing and perfect and you make everyone so happy." I sob into my hand.

"They told me," he laughs dryly. "They told me I'm never going to get better, they told me I'm crazy."

I slide on the flip flops next to my bed. "Jason, stop," I whimper.

"You need to get me out of here," he whispers. "They're making me act like this and one lady told me I could've gone home with some pills. Baby, come get me."

"I'm coming. Can you stay on the phone until I get there?"

"No," he replies, "they said I have five minutes. Listen to me. I love you, okay? Get Luca and David and get here ASAP. Just fucking get me out. They're going to strap me to the bed and put a fucking gag in my mouth."

"Oh my God. I'm on my way," I run down the stairs. "I love you so, so much, baby. I'll be there soon. I love you."

"I promise I'll get better," he sobs, "just come get me."

I wipe my tears. "I'm coming, baby," I grab my keys off the counter. "I was crying so much, I miss you already. I'm on my way right now."

"Please hurry, I love you. Drive safe."

"I love you t–" I'm cut off by the line going dead.

«» «» «»

"Okay, you have your gun right?" David asks Luca. He nods in reply. "And you have your knife?" I nod. "Okay, hopefully we won't need them. But we know the plan right? You just get him out of there and into the elevator. Cut off his bracelet and get to your car. Don't worry about us, just leave. We'll call you when we leave."

"Got it," I mumble. We make our way up to the seventh where the psych ward is. "I'm here to see Jason McCann. These are his lawyers," I gesture to the men behind me. The woman nods and buzzes us in.

Jason makes eye contact with me the second we step in. He rushes over to me and wraps his arms around me tightly. "Can we go?" He whispers.

"You have to run, do you think you can do that for me?" He nods. I walk over to the desk. "Excuse me? Do you think you can open the door so I can go to the vending machine down the hall?" I ask politely.

"Of course, Hon," the woman smiles at me.

She buzzes the door open. "Thanks, love," I grin as Jason runs out. David and Luca run out behind him. "Jace, cut off the bracelet!" I toss him the folded pocket knife.

He cuts it off as we run. "SHIT!" He shouts. I run faster to catch up with him. He holds down his wrist. "I cut myself," he whimpers.

"Keep going, baby," I say as we start down the stairs. An alarm goes off loudly. "Okay... quickly change into this," I hand him some clothes we left on the stairs for him. As he changes, I rip a piece of the scrubs off. I tie it around his wrist to stop the bleeding. "Go!" I shout as two security guards come down the stairs.

We run out the back door and around to my car. David and Luca hop into theirs as I help Jason into mine. I get in and start the engine.

"You okay?" I breathe heavily as I start driving.

He shakes his head, leaning against the seat. "I'm going to throw up," he mumbles.

"Plastic bags are in the glove compartment."

He takes one out and cracks his window open. I speed down the highway as he leans back and holds the bag to his mouth. "What if they come looking for me?" He worries out loud.

I grin, "don't you know, babe? Your entire gang is sitting outside the house. No one is getting past the gates."

He smiles tiredly. "I'd kiss you so hard if I could. But my luck I'd throw up in your mouth."

«» «» «»

"What time is my appointment tomorrow? You know, to prep for the surgery?" Leigh walks into my room. She looks up from her phone. "Wait, I though he was..."

I nod, running my fingers through Jason's hair. "He was, I went to go get him last night," I reply with a shrug.

"What if he hurts someone?"

"He won't," I look down at his sleeping figure. She sighs heavily. "I just have to keep my eye on him. He's obviously not going back to work anytime soon." I nod as tears form in my eyes.

"You can't save a schizophrenic, Nezther," she mumbles as she sits on the bed.

"He saved me and I owe him."